The stuff is bad news for long term use.
Side effects include:
* increased blood sugar for diabetics
* difficulty controlling emotion
* difficulty in maintaining train of thought
* weight gain
* facial swelling
* depression, mania, psychosis, or other psychiatric symptoms
* unusual fatigue or weakness
* mental confusion / indecisiveness
* blurred vision
* abdominal pain
* peptic ulcer
* painful hips or shoulders
* steroid-induced osteoporosis
* long-term migraines
* severe joint pain
* cataracts or glaucoma
* black stool
* stomach pain or bloating
* severe swelling
* mouth sores or dry mouth
* avascular necrosis (death of bone - often requiring joint replacement surgery)
* hepatic steatosis
* increased appetite
* frequent urination
* removes intestinal flora
* leg pain/cramps
* sensitive teeth
* Bulging eyes
* Fluid retention
* Loss of muscle
* Stretch marks, especially on the abdomen (or stomach)
* Fat deposits on the face and back (causing a round face and a fatty hump on the back of the neck)
* Thin skin
* Stunted growth (in children).
* High blood pressure (hypertension)
* Ruptured tendons
In addition, long term use can lead to adrenal suppression, meaning your body will not produce cortisol, leading to dependency which in turn can lead to addison's disease if you ever abruptly stop taking steroids.
Pred is only really only good for short blasts to put you into remission, it is not for keeping you in remission.
DX Pancolitis 2003. Subsequent flares limited to left side
Flare every 2-3 years.
Salofalk 12 tabs daily,
Probiotics: VSL#3DS. Fiber: Psyllium.
Allergic to Imuran
Flaring for the last Year!.. No diarrhea.
Colocort overnight, SFRowasa after 1st BM.
Went from 2 Colocort to 1 successfully. One more to go!
Post Edited (C_G_K) : 5/20/2011 11:58:03 AM (GMT-6)