I've been suffering from LPR for several years now. This year I used PPIs for the first time and while they helped with reflux symptoms, I developed a very severe tinnitus. Coincidence? I don't know, don't think so. I quit PPIs and got a rebound that made my condition even worse! I started getting regular reflux which was uncommon before. I decided not to use PPIs nor H2 antagonists ever again so here's what I do to control reflux:
1) gaviscon. The only GERD medicine that doesn't have tinnitus listed as a side effect.
2) things that are known to all of you - small meals, avoid spicy foods, caffeine, black tea, sleep with upper body elevated etc.
3) a LOT of chamomile tea. Everyone should try chamomile, it really helps a lot whenever you feel bloated, nauseous or generally unwell with your stomach.
4) something I don't see other people using - flax seed brew. A real life saver, it's very thick and tastes weird but is absolutely invaluable. What does it do? It shields your stomach and esophagus from acid. I had a stomach ulcer as a child and I've been given flax seed brew in hospital!
5) Now, my secret weapon :) It's probably something unavailable anywhere but Poland though. We have this Christian order known for making herbal medicine, one of these meds is called "Popiołek". It is a white powder, salty in taste. You take one teaspoon of it and then drink a half glass of water. A minute later you need to burp big time
and this makes reflux to go away completely for 2-3 hours. Cannot be used to often though, can cause constipation.VIEW IMAGE
6) You probably know this already but stress can really make your reflux worse. With stress, I rely on herbs again - I drink few cups of melissa every day. It has a calming effect and can also make you a bit drowsy.
Hope this helps anyone. I think PPIs are a really dangerous drug. If I had known what is it going to cause, I would have never used it in the first place.
Post Edited (Incognito) : 8/14/2012 4:08:14 PM (GMT-6)