reaction to bubble gum

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 5/1/2008 11:24 PM (GMT -6)   
Has anyone ever heard of being allergic to bubble gum, or I guess something found in bubblegum?

I have a 4 year old, about 2 months ago she attended a birthday party and came home with a mouth full of bubble gum (Bubble Tape) and a bag filled with candy. No big deal, she woke up the next morning with a big red splotch on her left cheek. At first I thought she had been in a bad position over night causing the red mark. When the splotch wasn't fading I decided to call my sister in law, to find out what all she had eaten during the party. Nothing that she had eaten at the party was new. So at this point I knew she had bubble gum (Which she had never had prior) and a bag of candy, which I didn't know for sure what had already been eaten from the bag. I also thought it was possible that it was a small bug bite on her cheek since the party took place outside.

Fast forward to yesterday.... while at the gas station I bought my daughter a pack of "Hubba Bubba" gum. Now today the red splotch is back. Hmmmm... coincidence?

Her PCP was closed today which is why I ask for advice here.

How would the allergy be determined? Is this even a big deal? Does she even need to see the pcp or should I just stop giving her gum. I am assuming that there is something in the gum that could be causing the reaction. If so then it's best to find out what it is. Right?

Sorry this dragged on, I am lost when it comes to allergies!  confused
I really appreciate someone sharing their opinion!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 4389
   Posted 5/2/2008 3:30 AM (GMT -6)   
Welcome to HealingWell! Yes, it could be something in the bubble gum she is reacting to: food coloring, flavoring, a sweetener, preservative, or some other ingredient. It would be good to discuss this with an Allergy specialist, since they are trained how to figure out what she may be reacting to. And it would be good not to give her more gum until you meet with the Allergy specialist, too. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Good luck,
Gluten & Sulfite Sensitivity, Many Food/Inhalant/Medication Allergies & Intolerances, Asthma, Gut issues (dysmotility, non-specific inflammation), UCTD (Lupus?), Osteoporosis, Anemia, T- & B-Cell Lymphopenia, malabsorption/malnutrition, Lyme Disease (Igenex Lab IgM WesternBlot positive/CDC negative), etc.
Meds:  Pulmicort, Injectable Vitamin B12, Herbs, Nutritional Supplements, Homeopathy.

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10382
   Posted 5/2/2008 8:09 AM (GMT -6)   
Bubble gum is full of artificial flavors, colors, scents, sweeteners. Basically, it's a bunch of chemicals in a lump. I'd keep her off all gum until you have her evaluated. That big red splotch sounds like maybe a hive, and hives in the head and neck areas on children can be a problem. If she reacts more to the next exposure, she could develop breathing problems. And remember, whatever she's reacting to is likely found in other food products too.

She's old enough to be evaluated by a good children's allergist, and that's the route I'd take.
Moderate to severe left-sided UC (21 cm) diagnosed 2001.
Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Prednisone, Entocort, Azathioprine
Avascular necrosis in both shoulders is my "forever" gift from steroid therapy.
Colazal,  Remicade, Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri. In remission since April, 2006.
Co-Moderator UC Forum
Please remember to consult your health care provider when making health-related decisions.

Another Day
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 1055
   Posted 5/3/2008 8:27 PM (GMT -6)   
I totally agree with getting her in to see an allergist.  I wouldn't want to take the chance of it being just the gum she is allergic to.  Like others have already mentioned, there are so many ingredients in the gum that may be found in other candy and maybe in some foods.
Obviously, none of my allergic reactions to food have been deadly, but you never know when that can happen.  If you can't get her in right away to see an allergist, then I would suggest taking her in to see her pediatrician.  He/she could probably help get her in sooner with an allergist.
She is in my prayers,

Moderator, Allergies/Asthma
Help support the forums so we can support you:
Epilepsy, asthma, fibromyalgia, GERD, depression, hypothyroidism, tinnitus

New Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 4
   Posted 5/7/2008 2:21 PM (GMT -6)   

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 10/4/2013 5:05 PM (GMT -6)   
I am a thirteen year old girl. I was in the car with my family one say, when I was about 5/6. My mom pops out a pack of gum and offers us a piece. I took it and was chewing it when I started getting a stomachache. I was dizzy and I had a headache.i finally figured out the pattern of whenever I chewed gum I got sick. To this day hardly anyone believes me outside my family. I have to go home repeatedly whenever I'm at school because of course gum is allowed at high school. I've never thrown up over gum, but I've come close. I also started getting cold sweats a while ago. Yes, it is indeed possible to be allergic to him.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, October 23, 2016 1:02 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,710,575 posts in 298,908 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 153464 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, jidhfiwa.
278 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
George_, Jgr75, sheepguy, Bololidat, Dantheman1983, 1 day at a time, Scaredy Cat, Girlie, VLou*, robby vieira, Huddie, dbwilco, poohcheez, Traveler, Nosila, Sissy63

Follow on Facebook  Follow on Twitter  Follow on Pinterest

©1996-2016 LLC  All rights reserved.

Advertise | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer