by Susun Weed
Adapted from the book, "Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way ". Things strongly implicated in the initiation, promotion, or growth of breast cancer.
Hormones, especially estradiol and progesterone
- Sources: Your ovaries, commercial meat and milk, hormone pills, progesterone creams, steroids, cortisone
- Reduced by: Strenous physical activity, pregnancy and lactation, menopause, wise lifestyle and food choices, high levels of phytoestrogens in the diet..
Organochlorines, pesticides, herbicides, bleach, plastics
- Sources: By-products of bleaching paper, drinking and bathing in chlorinated water, use of bleached tampons, chemical farming practices, water pollution.
- Reduced by: Eating organically-grown food, filtering drinking and bathing water, using unbleached paper, using less plastic, buying fresh (not canned) food.
Radiation, especially when young
- Sources: Mammograms, fallout, x-rays, cell-phones.
- Reduced by: Avoidance. Doses are cumulative.
EMFs (Electromagnetic Fields)
- Sources: TVs, hair dryers, microwave towers and ovens, computer monitors, all electrical appliances and lines.
- Reduced by: Distance; shielding does little.
Vegetable oils, hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated fats
- Sources: Corn, sesame, canola, sunflower, soy, flax, and other seed oils; margarine, commercial baked goods and snacks.
- Reduced by: Avoidance; read labels. Use organic butter and olive oil exclusively.
Excessive calories in the diet
- Sources: Easy availability, peer pressure, convenience.
- Reduced by: Wise food choices, herbal infusions, hugs.
- Source: Living long.
- Reduced by: Dying young. (Not worth it.)
Susun Weed has been living the simple life for more than 30 years as an herbalist, goatkeeper, homesteader, and feminist. Visit the author's web site at http://www.susunweed.com.