Mr. T, I would strongly suggest that you get a second opinion from another doctor. Your level of 1.5 is just at the toxicity level, and cutting down for a few days still leaves you in danger. Your doctor should have investigated the reason why your level got so high when you were taking the same dose. Also, you should have blood tests done regularly.
I was on lithium for 20 years, developed toxicity, and lost 60% of my kidney function. I had very similar symptoms to you when I was toxic, which is why I am very concerned that you're not getting the appropriate care right now.
If medical care is difficult to find where you live, then I think you should persist even if you have to go to another area and even if it costs more. You have to help yourself if your doctor won't. I have learned this myself from bitter experience.