Reoccuring Microcalcification Question wait or removal?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 7/7/2008 9:11 AM (GMT -7)   

My annual mamo had the following "Microcalcification groups in the right upper outer quadrant are increasing in number."  These were not present in 2006 or 2007.   I then had recent Spot magnification views of the upper-outer right breast and there were clustered microcalcifications noted close to the site of the my prior biopsy in 2005.  That wire needle localization breast biopsy was negative for malignancy.   


The recent spot mag report stated  "These calcifications do not all appear to be round and homogeneous and there is no definite associated mass or architectural distortion.  IMPRESSION:   Suspicious or indeterminate right breast microcalcifications. 


I then went for a steriotactic biopsy today and they could not get at the tissue in question as it was too close to the skin and my prior incision.  The Radiologist stated I could wait 6 months to see if there are changes or I could have another wire needle loc.  I am unsure what to do.  I asked if the Radiologist felt they got enough of the tissue last time to be satisfied with the diagnosis and she assured me that they had almost of the microcalcs from the last time in the pathology sample as she is super careful to be sure the surgeon removes enough to make the proper diagnosis.  The Radiologist is pretty conservative and believes they should be benign but they always have to add some statement to make you wonder.  She told me that she was really surprised the microcalcs came back negative in 2005 as they looked very "bad" on the films. 

She currently believes the new microcalc clusters could be coming from the scar tissue and are most likely benign.  She understood that waiting is tough and I may just want them biopsied so it is my decision and I should talk with my Surgeon.  My Surgeon is usually a wait and see type Doc so I will be curious to see what she has to say. 


The wire needle loc is no walk in the park and I don't want to have it if it is not necessary but I don’t' want to have a bigger issue in 6 months.  Has anyone had experience with microcalcification clusters coming from previous scar tissue and did they turn out to be benign.  Has anyone had Microcalcs that were benign on a previous biopsy and then have more appear that were not benign?  


I am not sure what to do

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1106
   Posted 7/7/2008 12:11 PM (GMT -7)   
My advice to you is, get it OUT! I would tell them I want a SURGICAL biopsy. Do not wait if they tell you to. If your surgeon will not do it, then find another surgeon. I am not trying to scare you, and it might very well be benign, but if not, you need to get it out now. Why even take that chance? All you will do is worry.
Please be your own advocate, all of us here have had to learn to be "pushy" when needed. It is your body and your life. 80% of lumps are benign, but sometimes microcalcifications can be an indication of something that is not. Just be your own advocate and tell them this is what you want to do.
Please know that we care and we are here for you. Please let us know what you decide.
hugs, Gail
  It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
Elisabeth Kubler Ross

New Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 9
   Posted 7/10/2008 8:13 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi -- I was wondering why you say to get a "surgical" biopsy -- does that mean you recommend using a breast surgeon over a radiologist? 

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2044
   Posted 7/12/2008 2:35 PM (GMT -7)   
Only a surgeon can perform a surgical biopsy. It is not something a radiologist can do. I had mincrocalcifications that showed up under my lumpectomy incision four years later. They were benign, That was in 2000. No problems since then. I am with Gail on this one. I would have the area where the calcifications are located removed. Lauri
Dxed 04/11/1996
"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you always imagined" Thoreau
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 7/13/2008 12:48 PM (GMT -7)   
I had a surgical biopsy of a lump that was benign and 10 years later in the same spot cancer was found. I agree wholeheartedly with Gail and Lauri, get a breast surgeon if at all possible to do a surgical excision. If a specialist is not available find out the name of a general surgeon who has done a lot of breast surgeries. Let us know how things go. Hugs MK

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:30 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,896,610 posts in 317,920 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157506 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ByHisGrace.
275 Guest(s), 15 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Brisco, DBwithUC, Tim G, notsosicklygirl, Spring, Salar, Satxmom, Girlie, Yellow1955, tonyaraven, searchinginla, Saipan Paradise, UCfireman, ZoeUK1989, Dirtfarmerswife

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.