I used to post on the GERD forum (Kitt is an AMAZING! woman!), bu this is my first here.
I need your wisdom and advice. I have an extensive family history of breast cancer and have had biopsies and close calls, etc. Now I've had another mammogram with a call back and they found a cluster of microcalcifications; another trip to my specialist where she did a stereotactic biopsy. The result are back with DCIS, Grade 0, 6mm; recommendation: lumpectomy followed by 5 day mammosite radiation.
I'm a realist, I'm not afraid of a diagnosis; you can't be, not in my family, but what I can't wrap my head around is the need for any treatment for this. I've read that this is not a cancer, but a pre-cancer; another says, it is a cancer, but not invasive, but it may become invasive if left untreated.
A chance of this becoming a slow growing "real" cancer is not, to me, a reason to jump into a surgical intervention right now. Because of a long standing issue, I have been on estratest (ovaries and fallopian tubes removed in 04); I am more inclined to stop the HRT and wait 6 months to see if there is a change in the mammogram, rather than go in for another surgery. I've had genetic testing, I am not BRCA positive.
Does anyone, anyone, have words of wisdom that will help me to determine if this is a reasonable course of action? Am I just in denial, or is this the result of being diagnosed with a "less than" type of situation than my mother, sister, aunts and cousins?