delayed reconstruction or wait another month

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 6/29/2005 9:24 PM (GMT -7)   
I was diagnosis as mucinous cancer on my right breast on May 18,05. The original surgery date was
June 23rd for lumpectomy. However, the doctor found another unknow spot. So I have to go with mastectomy. I want immediate DIEP reconstruction but not matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to do the surgery soon (All the doctors I called are booked so tight). I have to wait at least a month if I am lucky. I either have to do the mastectomy now without reconstrction or I have to wait another month to do them both at same time.
I don't want tram flap because I don't want to sacrify my muscle. Not sure about implant. I know if I do the implant know then I will not get the insurance to pay my DIEP again.
Does anybody have any experience on delayed reconstruction? Any suggestion?

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 730
   Posted 6/29/2005 9:50 PM (GMT -7)   

Hello MaraTT! I chose not to have reconstruction so I can't  help you from a personal standpoint but I have had several friends that have had reconstruction immediately after the mastectomy and several that have had it after their treatments were completed. The one thing that I would NOT do is wait to have the mastectomy. What has your onco said about waiting an extra month? I am a very strong believer that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps, since you are unable to find a surgeon that can do the reconstruction at the same time as the mastectomy, it is meant for you to wait. Please weigh all of your options. Your health is the utmost important thing right now. Please continue to post and let us help you. This is a wonderful, kind, caring and fun loving group of women.



Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 6/30/2005 4:34 AM (GMT -7)   
I had reconstruction seven months later and had no problem with new breast, however I had the tram flap. My daughter had reconstruction at the time of surgery and had to wait a month to get it scheduled with both surgeons. All went well for her. Waiting one month doesn't ususally make that much difference. I was really worried that she was waiting so long but she assured me from all she researched it would not matter. She is six years out from surgery and has had no problems. She also had a tram flap. The diep flap is rather new and specialized surgery I am surprised you would only have to wait a month. Waiting is the hardest part but if that is what you want, I'd say go for it and don't worry. Hugs, Mary K. (MK)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1294
   Posted 6/30/2005 2:41 PM (GMT -7)   
MataTT: I wouldn't put off the mastectomy. The reconstruction can be put off for a while. Give yourself sometime to find a good P/S and to make a good decision about reconstruction. There is plenty of time. I had reconstruction started at the time of the mastectomy. Sometimes I wished I had waited.

Welcome to the board. Let us know what happens.



 How good is a timely word!  Proverbs 15:23


Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2005
Total Posts : 349
   Posted 7/5/2005 2:33 PM (GMT -7)   
Hey there, JuJu here. Have you decided what you are going to do yet? I have waited to see if you would post again.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:16 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,904,338 posts in 318,745 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158135 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Sinemac.
298 Guest(s), 9 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Lapis_29, Beth Be Well, Calm, Bull101, nicolerose14, emotions, RobLee, fiddlecanoe, JkorourkeRN for husband