To go ahead with a double mastectomy or not
yes - 100.0% - 1 votes
no - 0.0% - 0 votes
maybe - 0.0% - 0 votes
second opinion - 0.0% - 0 votes
Posted 10/13/2013 12:30 AM (GMT -7)
There is breast cancer history in my family. My mom had bc..went through chemo same time my sister went through chemo for bc. My mom became cancer free even though she passed a year later from other medical conditions. My sister was not so lucky with hers, the doctors gave her the wrong chemo and instead of shrinking the tumor it spread and she went into stage 4 very rapidly. She fought very hard for over five years and just recently passed away in Sept. 2013 at age 58...Having both my mom and sister with bc makes me a triple threat to also getting bc. I have been advised to get a mammogram every 6 mos. instead of a year because of. In previous mammograms i have been told that I have multiple cysts, benign..But for the past month or so I have been having a burning sensation that comes and goes in my left breast. Without mentioning this I went for my routine mammogram last week and I received a call from my regular doctor saying that they had found something in my left breast and want to do a second test to get a closer view. I was at work when I got the call and I had to leave work early it was so upsetting because my first thought was the big "C" word. I am waiting to hear from the diagnostic center to schedule a second test. I have heard of this being a symptom of having IPC. When I go back to get a second view should I insist on a sonogram? I will be turning 53 next month and am perimenopausal. I have also been told that another hospital in my area gives 3-D mammograms. The hospital I normally go to gives the digital. Also, I have a friend that has suggested I get a double matsectomy because of my family history. I am pondering over whether I might should go ahead and get the double m so I won't have to worry about it.
Posted 10/13/2013 4:42 PM (GMT -7)
With your family history, you have every right to be concerned. However, at your age you have microcalcifications throughout your breasts. We all do as we get older. The radiologist has probably found some that aren't nice and round or some that are close together. They will do a second mammogram which will focus on the area of concern. Then the radiologist will give you a BI RAD score (0 - 5) which represents his recommendation of whether or not you should have a biopsy. Most women who have biopsies do not have breast cancer. Look at the topic above this one where I have talked to someone else who was concerned. I have detailed what a biopsy is like. Once you have all the details, you can make a decision about what you want to do. My cancer (DCIS) was caught early before it had spread to any adjacent breast tissue but was an aggressive sort. I decided on a double mastectomy because I could not worry the rest of my life if a lumpectomy had gotten it all, would it come back, or would it spread to the other breast. Peace of mind was most important to me. The normal treatment is a lumpectomy with radiation. Once I investigated radiation, I knew it wasn't for me either. Luckily my oncologist told me last week they had gotten it all, it would not be able to return because all the ducts and lobules are gone, and that I would definitely not have to have radiation or chemo or hormone therapy. By the way, the pathology report from the mastectomy on the "good" side showed cancer there too - a different kind, but small. It had been missed on mammogram and a bilateral MRI with contrast done before surgery to make sure there was no more cancer hiding anywhere in either breast. I made the right decision for me. Treatment for breast cancer has improved by leaps and bounds in the past two years. Even if you have it, it is no longer a death sentence. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Posted 10/17/2013 9:51 PM (GMT -7)
Sandra, it sounds like you have gone through a lot and I hope you are getting better everyday. Good luck to you...I finally was able to schedule my second mammogram for a closer view of the area in concern, just had that done today. The radiologist has suggested a biopsy. I have decided to have the stereotactic biopsy versus the incision type. The radiologist said with my family history as well as there being so many calcifications and being so close together was the reason for his suggestion. Having so many and close together there could be just one that is cancerous and I am hopeful that if there is that the biopsy will be able to detect it. I had strongly hinted to have a biopsy, that I would prefer one just to be able to rule out anything that probably won't show up on the mammogram. I am now checking out a couple of doctors to decide who to use for the procedure. One that my internist suggested is a breast cancer specialist and general surgeon. I am also waiting to hear from my ob/gyn doctor to see who they might suggest before I make my decision on a doctor. I will post more news as I have it. Thank you for your input and suggestions. Good luck and please let me know how things are going for you.