Stage 4 mets to liver and bone.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 19
   Posted 8/19/2005 6:55 AM (GMT -7)   
This is my first post, tho I've been reading some of those posted.  I have stage 4 met to liver and bone.  Arimidex didn't work.  Now my dr. has given me what he calls "menu items" to choose from. 
  1. another hormone treatment (I don’t think so)
  2. Xeloda.  Chemo taken in pill form.
  3. FAC.  IV chemo.  A combination of 5-FU, Adriamycin, Cytoxan.  Given every 3 weeks.
  4. Taxol. IV chemo.  Given weekly.

I can't imagine why I've suppose to make the choice.  Any suggestions / comments / insights?

thanks, confused Mary

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2005
Total Posts : 688
   Posted 8/19/2005 7:36 AM (GMT -7)   
Im no expert but I have always talked to my Dr to ask what my chances are and what would be the fastest way of getting rid of this. My Dr has a computer program that puts all the info in and then gives you all of the %'s of your chance of survival starting with no treatment at all. I would sit down and get more is power to us. Im surprised that they have not told you what all of these choices would do to you.

Keep us posted we care.


New Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 19
   Posted 8/19/2005 12:06 PM (GMT -7)   


Thanks for answering.  I"m going back to the dr. and get more answers.  Good luck on your chemo.  What are you taking?


Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2921
   Posted 8/19/2005 12:18 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi Mary, I am sorry your post did not get more response, somehow you missed the title line and "No Subject" didn't stir interest. Perhaps you could try again by copying the post above and making a new post with a title line that will catch our Stage IV women's eyes. We do have several here that I am sure can help. I have heard of all the 2 thru 4 choices, but I have no experience with them. One question I would ask the doctor is, if your wife was in my position, which would you choose for her? Please let us know what you decide and we will help. Hugs, Mary K. MK

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 2272
   Posted 8/19/2005 8:29 PM (GMT -7)   
If it were me, I would strongly consider a second opinion. While the doctor seems to be offering reasonable treatments, there is no way that you can be expected to make the decision. There should be a clinical reason to try one routine over another, based on history, your own cancer, research, etc. Where do you live? Please consider going to a comprehensive cancer center if you can for a second opinion. Or sit down with your doctor and review the pros and cons of each treatment option...side effects, impact on your quality of life, ability to treat your specific tumors and locations....what does the research show, which would he recommend for his own family member if she was the one fighting for her life?

Welcome though, glad you decided to post. Please jump in anywhere and ask whatever you need to. As MK said, putting a subject in the title will help draw more readers to your post.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 586
   Posted 8/20/2005 4:41 AM (GMT -7)   
I think I would go with a second opinion.  I dont have liver mets, but have had 3 regional recurrences.  I do know some with liver mets who have responded very well to taxol and others have done well with the xeloda.  I don't know how your doctor hasnt discussed these more fully with you to guide you in the right direction for your tumors.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1294
   Posted 8/20/2005 5:02 AM (GMT -7)   

Glad that you have joined us. So many of us can answer most of your questions. I agree that a second opinion would be worth your time. You need a doctor that gives you all the facts about all treatments. Hope you find one. You will be in my prayers.

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1564
   Posted 8/20/2005 6:21 AM (GMT -7)   
Mary...Many doctors give us choices in care these days. But it is unfair to expect you to make a decision if it is not an informed decision. You sound like you need more information, and I agree with the above advice. Get a second opinion.

What is your age, and where are you located?

Best of luck to you...

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 730
   Posted 8/20/2005 9:38 AM (GMT -7)   

Hello Mary! I am glad that you found us. I have to agree w/ the other ladies and strongly suggest that you get an 2nd opinion. I can't imagine an onco giving you a "menu" to chose your treatment. I have stage IV mets to the bone and there were some spots on my liver also. I have been on a weekly regiment of Herceptin and Navelbine since October of 2003. My CEA counts are down below normal range. The spots on my liver have disappeared. I had taxol after my first round of chemo 5 yrs ago. It wasn't even mentioned to me as a treatment option this time by my onco. Please consider getting another opinion.



New Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 19
   Posted 9/17/2005 9:17 AM (GMT -7)   

Deb, it's encouraging to know your spots have disappeared.  I also have evidence of early infiltration to bone (vertebrae).  I told my dr. (M.D. Anderson in Houston) I want whichever has the best chance of making me better…he chose Taxol.  I think he's starting conservatively, since my liver functions are normal. I don’t think it matters which order they’re given, they just try different ones until something works.  This is my first round of chemo, after Arimidex failed.  The tumor marker they’re using for me is CA Antigen 27.29.  The norm for this is 29-30; mine is 394.  Hope to see it go down soon.

Luv, mary

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 829
   Posted 9/17/2005 6:43 PM (GMT -7)   
I've had options 3 and 4. #3 damaged my liver and it will never fully recover. I had #4 for 15 months. It seemed to do the trick for me and I'm 9 1/2 years out from dx the first time.

I do have a problem with your post though. Who's the doctor here, you or him? He can't be worth his fees if he can't analyze your condition and decide on an appropriate treatment. I find this a little scary, MD Anderson or not. A second opinion may be necessary.

Ask him what he would do if it was his wife or daughter? Sounds like a game show, do you pick what's behind Curtain #1, Curtain #2, Curtain #3, or Curtain #4? I think he's an idiot and if what you decide doesn't work, he can always say it wasn't his fault. A lot of doctors today are like a lot of lawyers today and they should all be used to repair the levees in NO.

Stepping down from the soap box, Jo-Ann
A good friend will bail you out of jail...
but a true friend will be sitting
next to you saying,
"Dâmn... that was fun!".

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, November 24, 2017 11:01 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,897,731 posts in 318,044 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157599 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, zziotnrt.
249 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Rikky1, tonyaraven

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.