I am new here. Dont mean to be depressing to those of you who are recovering or whos outlook might be different. However I am looking for support and some advice. My sister in law (brothers wife) is battling Breast Cancer. She was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. At that time she was already at stage 3. She is at stage 4 now and the cancer has become very aggressive. She has had 2 rounds of Chemo and Radiation as well as all the meds one could be given. At first it seemed to help,the it spread to her blood and from there went behind her right eye. They were able to remove it . Since that removal it sprouted up behind her other eye and is now in her bones and a few days ago my brother thought she was having a stroke so he took her to the hospital and the worst had happened, the cancer had spread to her brain. She had surgery yesterday and they were only able to remove 95% of it because the other 5% was too deep within her skull. She is in so much pain. My brother is scared out of his mind. Since the surgery she has not been able to move her left leg, the doctor assures my brother that once the swelling has gone down around her brain, the feeling should return. She has a big drain tube coming out of her skull to keep the fluids drained from her. Whats so sad is that this was a first marriage for my brother, he spent over 17 years in the Air Force and retired early in good standing and met her and they were married only about a year when she found out the had breast cancer. She had an Aunt that lived two years with the same type of cancer and passed away. We know it is only a matter of time for her now. I just dont know how to be supportive to my brother. Last week he and I were talking, before all this latest took place and it was my husband and my 20th Wedding Anniversary and he said "I hope Carol and I have that many years together". What could I tell him? I said "Just enjoy the time you have together now". It just seems to unfair. She has an 11 year old daughter from a previous marriage that my brother has agreed to adopt once she is gone. I dont think the little girl even knows her mother is that bad yet. They havent told her. I think they need to tell her, but that decision has to be left up to them. Does anyone have any idea how I can support my brother? They are not financially well off, just living on his retirement and her disability, he had to quit his job to stay home and care for her. He wont leave her side to eat, bathe, or sleep. They had to run him out of ICU last night. He is sleeping in the lobby on a couch because he cannot afford a hotel room for him to sleep in. I wish there was something I could do for them to help them financially but I just dont know who to contact or what. Thanks for letting me vent. Ill try and keep you updated on her progress.I also wanted to add that they have found a lump in her other breast now in addition to everything else.
Post Edited (gjet68) : 11/1/2007 11:04:19 AM (GMT-6)