I was taking Oxycontin for almost two years after my first back surgery in 2006. It worked pretty well at controlling the mechanical pain that I was still having and along with the Lyrica kept the pain levels around a 7 instead of a constant 9. I had to have a second surgery in August of 2007 and was finding in the months before that the Oxycontin seemed to loose it's effectiveness. We increased the dosage a few times to a total of 40 mg three times a day and an additional 5-10 mg of IR Oxycodone for breakthrough and it still wasn't working as well as it once had.
After talking to my PM, we decided to try Opana, since it's supposed to be stronger than Oxycontin, and hoped that I would get back down to a lower dose over the course of a day, with improved pain relief. We've had to adjust the dose a few times and I am currently at 40 mg of Opana ER twice a day and 5 mg of Opana IR three times a day and it's not working very well at all. In fact, after about 8 hours, the pain relief is almost non existant, even with staggering the breakthrough Opana so that I am taking that during the last 4 hours before it is time for the ER.....I don't want to keep increasing the dosage, hoping that it will work better.
On top of all of that, my PM just left the practice to move back to Puerto Rico with his family. So I will be seeing a new PM in a few weeks for my appointment.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Go up again in the Opana hoping that it will kick in at some point, or change medications all together, but to what?
Anyway, thanks for listening and if you have any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.
PLIF/TLIF Fusion w/Instrumentation L4-5 Spondololysthesis L4-5.Laminectomies L4-5, foraminal stenosis L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, herniations L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, central canal stenosis L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
POST OP CES 3/30-06
Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel, bilateral numbness legs and feet
Revision for failed Back surgery, pseudoarthrosis L4-5, hemilaminectomies L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, bmp added to revision fusion, replaced two bent screws that were reversing out of vertebrae - August 2, 2007
On going back pain and neuropathic pain, failed back surgery, consult for scs, decided not to do that at this point.
Adhesive Arachnoiditis also......just what I didn't need..