I knew the time was right when I just couldn't function any longer the way I was and the nerve damage was getting worse. If you wait too long, and have nerve compression, the longer you wait, the slimmer the chances of recovery of the nerves are.
I flat out refused the idea of surgery or even going to see one when my back problems started again in August of 2005. By October, I'd had enough of moaning in my sleep because of the pain, the numbness, and the not being able to do anything.
I went to the chiropractor because he had always gotten me on my feet before when my back flared. I saw him for a few months and was not getting better, in fact was getting worse, and finally after a series of events, saw the surgeon.
The rest is not so great history.
PLIF/TLIF Fusion w/Instrumentation L4-5 Spondololysthesis L4-5.Laminectomies L4-5, foraminal stenosis L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, herniations L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, central canal stenosis L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
POST OP CES 3/30-06
Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel, bilateral numbness legs and feet
Revision for failed Back surgery, pseudoarthrosis L4-5, hemilaminectomies L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, bmp added to revision fusion, replaced two bent screws that were reversing out of vertebrae - August 2, 2007
On going back pain and neuropathic pain, failed back surgery, consult for scs, decided not to do that at this point.
Adhesive Arachnoiditis also......just what I didn't need..