Hmmm.......my understanding is that unless you have at least a 50% reduction in pain levels, that you are not a candidate for the permanent spinal cord stimulator.
If I only got 30% or maybe a little more during the trial, there is no way that I would consider a permanent implant. I also understand that there is slight to moderate reduction in pain control once the leads are scarred in, due to the development of scar tissue...
I would make sure that you have a good talk with all of the others who have had scs implanted and make sure that you feel confident that this is going to work for you.
You might want to do an internet search too , maybe you can come up with other research papers or information about
the reduction you are supposed to have before you make your decision.
I did alot of research into spinal cord stimulators when the doctors wanted me to get one, and I decided not to, for a lot of reasons, but we all have to make our own decisions.
Did you ask your doctor what would happen if you did get the permanent implant and it didn't work , or work as well as either one of you hoped? about
lead migration, and failure of the unit? What would he do in the event, that you were not getting the coverage that you need to control the pain? Would he continue to prescribe meds for breakthrough pain and your normal pain levels or does he expect that the scs will take care of your pain levels?
Anyway, good luck with your decision, I hope that it turns out well for you.
PLIF/TLIF Fusion w/Instrumentation L4-5 Spondololysthesis L4-5.Laminectomies L4-5, foraminal stenosis L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, herniations L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, central canal stenosis L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
POST OP CES 3/30-06
Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel, bilateral numbness legs and feet
Revision for failed Back surgery, pseudoarthrosis L4-5, hemilaminectomies L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, bmp added to revision fusion, replaced two bent screws that were reversing out of vertebrae - August 2, 2007
On going back pain and neuropathic pain, failed back surgery, consult for scs, decided not to do that at this point.
Adhesive Arachnoiditis also......just what I didn't need..