tried oxycontin 10mg...not enough pain relief

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 33
   Posted 7/30/2008 6:02 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi everyone. At my last Dr's visit I was swichted to Oxycontin 10mg w/Norco 3/day for breakthru pain. I have been taking Norco for 6 years with no increase (or need to increase) Dr just wants to switch to something "long acting" since my condition is chronic (since 98)*kidney pain*. I took my first oxy and had little relief and had to take a Norco within 4 hours (just like I took Norco) so, I was given a "trial" amount (for two weeks worth) #30 oxys and 45 Norcos) I upped my appt from Monday the 4th (exactly 2 weeks) to tomorrow (31st) because I will be out as of tomorrow of the Norco's...(I have needed to take 4-5/day) and have taken one oxy at 6am and one at 6pm with no noticeable difference in pain relief. Is this dose just too low? I'm going to talk to him tomorrow about switching back to just Norco or going up to 2omg...We're going camping with our neighbors all weekend and will not make it if I dont get more Norco's...the oxy's I have left (about 8..I can't take any more than 2/day..and they don't help with the pain any more than 4 hours...)I realize they stay in your "system" for about 12hours...I'm just nervous like always before an appt. Also, my insurance did cover them, but with a very high "copay" of 63.00 for just 30! That's another thing, I can only imagine that a full month's supply would run me about $120.00 and that just won't work. I also have a uti in a little more pain than usual. Just wanted to vent a little I guess....just anxious about appt tomorrow (never had to move appt earlier before...been with this dr for 3 years)...Anyone else try oxy 10mg? Any luck with it? thanks...and good night everyone.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 6795
   Posted 7/30/2008 7:55 PM (GMT -6)   
I've never tried the oxycontin but may need to in the future. I have the same issues, too, with co-pay amounts. But since you're seeing your doc tomorrow it sounds like you need to tell him/her that you're not getting relief, and ask what your options are. I'd also tell your doc about your camping plans and that you want to enjoy your time and not be in unnecessary pain.

Let us know what happens.


Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 639
   Posted 7/30/2008 8:10 PM (GMT -6)   

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so crummy. I have used percocet for my "maintenance" med throughout the years, but with flares several times, my doctor has temporarily put me on oxycontin in addition to the percocet. I will say that I would NEVER want to switch to just the oxy. I do find that using the two in conjunction seems to increase my relief, but when I first started with it I tried to not take the BT med (percocet) and it absolutely didn't work! It does help when I take it in addition to taking regular doses of the BT - then it seems to level out the amount of med in my system and I don't have as many of the "lows" between doses of the BT.

One warning for you on the cost, too... I started with 10mg and had to bump up to 20mg 2x/day with this latest flare and I found out that the 20mg meds were a higher co-pay for me! That surprised me. The 10mg were a pretty high co-pay like you had since only the brand name is available, but I'd assumed I would have the same co-pay on the 20mg. Not so - it went up. It was almost double what the 10mg co-pay was. If I you have to pick between the two, I'd definitely see if your doc will let you go back to the Norco if they are working for you. Why mess with success, right?

Best of luck to you! I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 9145
   Posted 7/30/2008 11:22 PM (GMT -6)   

Glad you bumped up that appointment. That will show the doc just how much pain you are having. Write down what has gone on with your pain levels on a daily basis since he first put you on oxycontin. That will make it clear to him and easier to make a decision on what you need.

On the companies are so very different. Mine has the same copay for one med no matter how many or the strength. It goes by the specific medication.

Talk to your doctor about the copays. He may have some ideas to help you. There are companies that will help with free or low cost meds for their product. You could try that option. Another option is switching to extended release morphine (some names are Avinza, Kadian, MS Contin but it comes generic too). For many people it has the same effectiveness as oxycontin but it's dirt cheap.

Just a thought...
Co-Mod Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Forums
Fibromyalgia, Ulcerative Colitis, Insulin dependent diabetic, collapsed disk, dermatitis herpetiformus, osteo arthritis in spine and other locations.

The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. Albert Einstein: (1879-1955)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 639
   Posted 7/31/2008 12:30 AM (GMT -6)   
That's a good point, Chutz! I tried Kadian for a while too, and I know that company gives out coupons that shave something like $20 off your copay each month. My pharmacist looked up something like that on the oxycontin too when I picked that up last month. I guess that company is offering some sort of benefit to people who don't have insurance coverage at all, but since I have insurance it didn't work for me.

I was also re-reading my earlier post and thought I should clarify that I have a really high tolerance to many meds and so I probably shouldn't have said that the oxy didn't work for me w/o the BT med. Plus, like Chutzie said (smart cookie - she is!) different meds have different effectiveness for different people, so the best thing is just to document what is happening to you and have your doctor adjust accordingly.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 1560
   Posted 7/31/2008 10:21 AM (GMT -6)   
I am on Kadian and Percocet for the BT pain. The Percs I have been on so long they aren't working for the BT pain (hence the reason doc wants the Mylo tomorrow). I wish there was some miracle cure for our pain guys and gals, but its hit or miss with these medications. Each person's pain is so individual that what may work for one may not work for another.

Port; I am glad to see that you upped your appt with your PD, just being in pain is bad enough without having to deal with it when your camping. I know what you are going through and maybe your doc will up your meds again so that you will get the relief you need. I too have upped my doc appt so that I can know the Mylo results before I leave for KS. Instead of seeing him in OCT. I will be seeing his PA in two weeks to go over the results.

So much problems and so little relief is not exactly what I had in mind for my life at this point, but dealing with it the best I can.

Until my next post.....hoping you have a LPD


HEALTH ISSUES: Herniated discs at S-1-L5, L5-L4, L4-L3. Two level fusion (2000); one level fusion (2002); Revision at L4-L3 (2003). Diagnosed with Failed Back Syndrome, Permanent Nerve damage and Chronic Pain


Kadian, Lexipro, Percocet, Temazapim, Lunista, and Robaxin.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, August 14, 2018 1:53 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,992,442 posts in 327,957 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161190 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, oam78776.
374 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details