New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 9/17/2008 2:34 PM (GMT -6)   
 Im a disabled vet and had lymphoma 2 yrs ago, cancer free now, from the meds they gave me I developed cronic pain in both my knee's and right foot tendons, they have me on 2 t3's every 4 hrs, they don't seem to be working that good after 2 yrs or my pain is getting worse, about 3 months ago I had a tooth pulled and the dentist gave me pecocet for the pain, I took one in the morn ,one around noon and one in the eve, they worked great and took care of both pain issues,  he only gave me 12 , so for 4 days I felt like I could get around like normal. Now the problem I have is that I only go up to see the Dr at the Va Hospital every 6 mo. and its 2 1/2 hrs away one way, my apointment is next mo,  I would like to ask the dr (really a NP) to give me these , since they worked so good, but Im afraid if I ask for them she might say no because they are alot stonger and not give me the t3's thinking Im addicted since they get alot of abuse there.
 It cost me about $100 to drive there and the Dr only see's me once evey 6 mo so she dosent remember me at all , I would like to find a Dr in my area but I don't have a famliy Dr here.  One I just went to is a young Dr and their policy is not to prescribe pain meds , told me up front and didn't even ask what problem I had, then the next I called said they are not seeing cronic pain cases, and refered me to a internal med Dr at the Hospital ? I live in a small town about 45 south of Jackson Mi and there are not many doctors here. I can afford the meds and would like to get them locally so I dont have the long drive and be able to see a Dr more than once every 6 mo's
I also hate going to the VA since it remainds me evey time about the cancer, the primary care is right across form the oncology dpt.
 So what advise can you give me on the VA Dr and for finding a Dr close to home

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 329
   Posted 9/17/2008 4:50 PM (GMT -6)   
Do you have a VA rep or organization you can contact? My husband is a disabled vet as well and anytime he has issues he contacts his VA rep and she helps him find a doc, get an appointment and all kinds of other things.

Do you have Tri care or do you have to go to the VA hospitals t have a visit covered?

Hysterectomy at 25

4 laproscopic surgeries since 24


Meds - vicodin : nexium : skelaxin : klonopin


Supplements : calcium : magenesium :potassium : milk thistle : fish oil : B complex : vit E

In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children. The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted. The result is unruly children and childish adults. ~Thomas Szasz 

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, September 21, 2018 2:21 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,488 posts in 329,228 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161775 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Rawle.
312 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Coffeemate, Lynnwood, 61Impala, oregonhay, jwebb