Posted 10/20/2008 8:02 AM (GMT -6)
I've always refused to own a new car or make a car payment so every car I have had has had at least 80,000 to 120,000 mileson them when I get them I typically get another 100,000 out of them then pass them down to boyfriend who is a mechanic he gets another 60,000 to 100,000 none of my cars have every had to have an engine rebuild and only one trany Knock on wood. I Thought this might be a good place to share tips because we all have to get to the docter and save all the money we can so I will pass down the car bible as it was taught to me by my Father god love him fighting terminal cancer.
1) every fill up check the fluids oil coolant brake and transmision.
2) service the oil as per your manual recomends
3) sevice the coolant every year we do it in the summer because it is hot here but in cold climates get to it before it freezes in a pinch you can buy a gauge that tells you what your freeze point is and you can buy and anti corosive additive. Cheap insurance keep it running cool.
4) always keep jumper cables water oil break fluid and transmision fluid.
5) if you over heat pull over safely let it cool down heat kills more engines
6) Drive conserveitalbly, its easy on the trany and engine and saves gas. It's also safer and for those of us with neck problems it saves wear and tear on us.
7) For those who don't drive often start the car once a week warm in up a little and put it in gear and go little forward a little reverse it helps keep the seals wet.
8) Single ladies it can't hurt to date of marry a mechanic LOL.
BTW your never to old to learn were the dip sticks are
almost forgot check tire pressure monthly and look to see if the tires are wearing evenly fixing balance and alignment problems will extend the life of your tires