I have been trying to understand methadone. We've all pretty much agreed
that it's different from other Opiods. It's been explained to me several
times. Despite the explanations, I can't get it.
Uniquelyme/rhonda sent me some material about
Methadone. It was almost
understandable. Unfortunately, the type was too small and very difficult
for me to read on my Mac. Mac sees different from other computers. Anyway,
thank you, rhonda.
What I've learned so far:
1) Methadone isn't as hard on your body (especially your liver) as other
2) Methdone rushes to many receptors in your brain and gets to work
making your pain less. It's the most effect Opiod for certain types of pain.
3) Methadone is particulary good for nerve pain (neuropathic pain) and not
so good for visceral pain. It wouldn't work good for surgery pain.
4) It has a long half life. That means the Methadone can be a potentially more
dangerous medication than others. For instance, you might take your usual
dose and find it doesn't help your pain so you take more. Taking more could
become an overdose!!
I don't think a doctor would prescribe Methadone to a patient he/she didn't
trust. If you take methadone, FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS.
5) It takes quite awhile for Methadone to start working in your body. During
that time, I remember calling my doctor 3 times in less than a week. That's
6) It not the drug of choice for those people who rob pharmacies for Opiods.
With Methadone, you will not get the Euphoria that so many people complain
7) I don't think there's a limit to the amount of Methadone one can take. My
doctor prescribes 120 mg a day and he has told me unofficially that I can take
an extra one with every dose. He has not yet prescribed that amount. Also, I
don't know how much my insurance would be willing to pay for.
If you are an expert in the subject of Methadone, please feel free to make
comments. I tried to extract the information and make it readable. I think
it's the right information but it could use some polishing.
Post Edited (Pamela Neckpain) : 4/16/2009 11:08:43 AM (GMT-6)