Posted 5/1/2009 9:51 PM (GMT -6)
Seems that the medical advice has not changed since my son was born in 2000 then if you are being told exactly the same things that I was told then.
We didn't plan on getting pregnant when I did, so I didn't know until I was 10 weeks along. I would say that if you are going to try to have a baby, plan on getting your pain management down to the minimum meds that you can , and if you feel that you must stay on the meds, then as long as you follow your doctors and the baby's advice, your baby will do okay.
I won't kid you and tell you that you won't feel horribly guilty if your child is put through withdrawal, I don't see how any parent who honestly loves their child could feel anything but, but at a low dose, it may not be necessary to have to wean the baby off any methadone.
And, consider as I found out as well, that the pregnancy hormones did more for keeping my previous pain levels in check than any medication that I had been on. The good news for me was that I didn't have to go back on most of those meds once I was out of the post delivery phase. In fact, the pain levels stayed down for some time.
We all have to make some tough choices and if I had to do it again, I can't honestly say that I wouldn't or would. I don't know . I know that I made the best decision that I could make , at the time, with all of the involved medical support that I could find, and their opinions.
I will be around if you want to ask anything else, please do. It may help someone else down the road who has to make the same decision or one similar.
PLIF/TLIF Fusion w/Instrumentation L4-5 Spondololysthesis L4-5.Laminectomies L4-5, foraminal stenosis L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, herniations L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, central canal stenosis L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
POST OP CES 3/30-06
Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel, bilateral numbness legs and feet
Revision for failed Back surgery, pseudoarthrosis L4-5, hemilaminectomies L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, bmp added to revision fusion, replaced two bent screws that were reversing out of vertebrae - August 2, 2007
On going back pain and neuropathic pain, failed back surgery, consult for scs, decided not to do that at this point.
Adhesive Arachnoiditis also......just what I didn't need..9/08- adding bilateral ulnar neuropathy with severe compression to the mix. They want me to see a surgeon for ulnar nerve surgery, but I'm not biting.
I've seen enough surgeons over the last few years.