When I was on oxycontin/oxycodone, I was on 160 mg a day and the breakthrough amount was 15 mg every 4 hours if needed on top of that. I seldom used that much breakthrough and I had my own concerns about
the amount of oxycontin/oxycodone that I was on. I decided after discussing it with my PM that I wanted to try something else and I weaned myself off that large of a dose by a simple taper over a month's time. It wasn't bad, and honestly, other than once when I made too large of a cut down in my dose, I barely knew that I was tapering at all.
I know it might be a bit intimidating to try to cut down from the dosage that you are on, but did the doctor discuss any ways of doing that with you? There are several ways he can take you off the oxycontin and switch it for something else, using the standard formulary to convert you from one medication to another, or he can substitute the oxycodone with methadone and hopefully at a much lower dose, you might find better pain relief. Or you can simply try to taper down with his support. The one thing that concerns me is that it almost sounds like he wants you to do this on your own and that I would find highly irresponsible for him or any other doctor to do.
With the amount of oxycodone that you are on, you are going to need medical support , if not emotional support to do this. And you are going to need prescript
ions in different dosages to help you get through the various cuts in dosage as well.
Hang in there,
PLIF/TLIF Fusion w/Instrumentation L4-5 Spondololysthesis L4-5.Laminectomies L4-5, foraminal stenosis L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, herniations L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, central canal stenosis L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
POST OP CES 3/30-06
Neurogenic Bladder and Bowel, bilateral numbness legs and feet
Revision for failed Back surgery, pseudoarthrosis L4-5, hemilaminectomies L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, bmp added to revision fusion, replaced two bent screws that were reversing out of vertebrae - August 2, 2007
On going back pain and neuropathic pain, failed back surgery, consult for scs, decided not to do that at this point.
Adhesive Arachnoiditis also......just what I didn't need..9/08- adding bilateral ulnar neuropathy with severe compression to the mix. They want me to see a surgeon for ulnar nerve surgery, but I'm not biting.
I've seen enough surgeons over the last few years.