Fibro/chronic pain doc recommendation Chicago area?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 99
   Posted 6/8/2010 2:39 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey Pain Family!
Once again I am looking for a new doctor! I was dx'd with Fibromyalgia officially a year ago- but as almost all chronic pain sufferers I had had problems for a good long time before then. And the process for getting a dx is often long and then getting a treatment that works for you can be even more difficult as you know. And that is the road that I am on now. I have tried absolutely everything every doctor has recommended to prevent the pain from antidepressants to anti- epileptics and they all work for awhile but lose effectiveness over a very short period of time- a few months. I have tried all of the small pain relievers from OTC to Tramadol. But my pain, as many of you know from experience, is ridiculously bad and I want my life back. At 36 I am not ready to throw the towel in. My latest doctor and I had a parting of the ways when I asked for actual pain medicine and he said that he didn't believe in it. So I was hoping that someone in my extended "healingwell family" could recommend a pain doctor around the Chicago area that treats pain long term and is educated and good at it. I just want to be pain free. But I need a trustworthy and reputable doctor that I can build a good relationship to that with and who better to help me find one than you guys? :)
Dx'd: TMJ-1997; High Blood Pressure- 2007; Fibromyalgia- 2008; Raynaud's- 2008;

Medications- Who can keep up? If its out there for what I have or might work to prevent pain for what I have then I have tried it. But actual pain relievers- not so easy to get in the Land of the Free.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 914
   Posted 6/8/2010 5:09 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey SST , I'm sorry your having such a hard time my friend , I'm sorry I'm in NYC so I don't have a doctor for you but I wanted to offer my support . Perhaps there is a Pain Center near you , maybe you can start there . Use the online services all you can , you may find something worthwhile just searching and calling .Best of Luck , I hope you feel better soon . Mikel

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 974
   Posted 6/9/2010 6:38 AM (GMT -6)   
If you have medical insurance I'd try their website first to find a Pain Management doctor that is in your network and go from there. When calling, make sure you ask them if they do procedures and prescribe pain meds. Some only want to do procedures. For the fibro you may also consider a rheumatologist. They are very knowledgeable with auto-immune diseases and could possibly be another avenue to consider.
DDD, osteoarthritis, facet syndrome, fusion surgeries C-5/7 & L-4/5 both in 2006, torn meniscus surgeries left knee 2000 & 2002, buldging disc L-2/3, fibromyalgia, polymyalgia rheumatica

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, September 21, 2018 3:01 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,493 posts in 329,230 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161777 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, babagg.
273 Guest(s), 8 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
notsosicklygirl, 81GyGuy, mattamx, PeterDisAbelard., mspoopsalot, chewbetta, three 5's and a jack, Subdenis