Finally got a call back from the unusual ortho

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Retired Mom
Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 1753
   Posted 8/30/2010 7:06 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello All,
I started a new thread because the other was so long. 
After making a call to the PM about the strange Ortho apt and asking them what they would suggest, I got a call back from the Ortho's office.  PM said to go back to the hospital and get new discs of the MRI's and the X-rays and bring by the office (since I already had an appointment later this month).  They were already aware of why I wanted the tests and that I just wanted to find out what was going on with my back and to see if additional nerve ablations would be possible.  I was able to pass along all that happened and then told to bring in the disc tomorrow since I have to go to the same city in the morning.
So then the Ortho's office calls and tells me to be a the hospital (same city) for a CT (no contrast and no myleogram) on Wednesday morning first thing and then come to his satelite office just after lunch to go over the new films. 
Now I'm so confused. I will go to the test and I will pay at least one more co-pay for the results, but I have no idea what to do next.  I guess it's a wait and see game and I'll have to see what he has to say about everything.  If nothing else, I can take the records to PM for the file and ask him what he thinks. 
I appreciate all of the information you guys have given me about this strange Ortho situation.   I'll keep you updated when I see what is next.
Retired Mom

Monty's Mom
Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 664
   Posted 8/30/2010 7:16 PM (GMT -6)   
Retired Mom,
I hate when doctors play the waiting game. Do they not see what waiting incessantly does to their patients? Keep us posted. I hope it all goes well, and that all the travelling and lying still doesn't make your pain worse. You are in my prayers.
The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That's the essence of inhumanity. George Bernard Shaw

Pelvic adhesive disease, Irritable bowel syndrome, SI joint pain, 7 pelvic surgeries for pain, ovarian cysts, adhesions, and a kidney stone! Wait, future medial transcriptionist I must say ureteral calculus!

solar powered
Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 538
   Posted 8/30/2010 7:38 PM (GMT -6)   
If you are going to follow through with the ortho then by all means go ahead with the CT. If you aren't going back or going to allow him to do anything I guess I would cancel the CT and leave the money in your pocket for a dr you can trust. Trust and mutual respect is so important between a dr and patient and it may be very difficult you and the ortho to get to that point since he was a jerk to you at your first meeting. I will hope for you that things work out well. Lisa
If I can laugh at it, I can live with it.

Screaming Eagle
Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 5005
   Posted 8/30/2010 7:42 PM (GMT -6)   
OK Mom!'re going to have to slap me around a little, and explain again what is the nature of your pain! If it is a back problem, and you had surgery....did a neurosurgeon do the surgery?...or an Ortho?

I would keep the appointment at this point, and also go to the PM to seek another opinion on it....but I think I would really feel better with a neurosurgeon taking a look at it.

If I'm all messed up here, just ignore the reply here and drive on without me. smilewinkgrin

SE wink

Retired Mom
Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2010
Total Posts : 1753
   Posted 8/31/2010 1:40 AM (GMT -6)   
None of you guys are confused or wrong. It is a back problem, the Neuro did the surgery, the PCP will ONLY send me to this guy (not the neuro), I am seeing PM and going to take everything to them and I only ever wanted someone to read the MRI's/X-rays for themselvses because there was so much insane junk on them like the bulging disc at L5-S1, when I have the Post Op report saying there is NO disc there. I only wanted answers.

The only reason I agreed to go was because I didn't want it to look like I would not cooperate and follow Dr's orders and that is the only reason I am going to have the CT (mind you without contrast and without doing a myleogram). I do not want those tests unless somebody is willing to tell me exactly why I need to go through so much more. I've already met my maximum out of pocket expenses, so the ct is more or less free and the apt will be another 35.00 co-pay. I just want answers at this point. Then I'll take everything to the PM and get his opinion. I do trust him to tell me the truth, but I can't say I trust the new ortho or even the neuro (if he made a big mistake....which is starting to look like a possibility). I'm not after anybody, I just want answers and pain relief.

I'd also like to know if the pain in my hands is coming from my back/neck area or from a reumy issue. I have my first follow-up with her this month too and want to put everything together so that we can find answers.

Please just stick with me a little while longer and I'll be able to make it. It's been too much pain, too many Dr's, too many inconsistencies, to much stress, and too much frustration to do it much longer.

Just stay a little longer and I should have answers soon.
Retired Mom

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2010
Total Posts : 1097
   Posted 8/31/2010 1:46 AM (GMT -6)   
Hang in there Retired Mom....I know it's been a long and very frustrating experience for you, but it looks like things are happening again and that's a good sign. Keep after them for exactly what you want and don't let them bully you. This is your health and your health care provider - you should be working as a team and if you're not...then you have the wrong doctor.

Praying for you!!

DX: Fibro, Severe Myofascial Pain, Chronic Pelvic Pain, Surgical Adhesions, IBS, IC-PBS, Carpal Tunnel (both wrists), FAI, Reynauds, Opthalmic Migraines, Drug Related Hot Flashes, Physically Unable to Vomit due to Nissen Surgery, Extremely tiny and scarred veins (hard start for IV's)

Meds: Oxycontin, Tramacet, Cymbalta, Cesamet, Flexeril, Clonidine plus Vitamin D + Multi daily

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 16796
   Posted 8/31/2010 5:10 AM (GMT -6)   
I would have the Ct and then have my PCP refer me back to my original surgeon that did the surgery for his opinion. He is the one that did your surgery and should be able to give you the answers you need. All this other running around seems to be a big waste of your time and money. If you are having problems with your hands it could be from your neck not your back. Neck problems can cause symptoms in the arms, shoulders and hands.

Good luck.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 12:22 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,986 posts in 329,290 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161816 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, nagawarrior.
226 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details