L4+L5 disc herniation

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Lady Racer
New Member

Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 9/9/2010 9:14 AM (GMT -6)   
Hoping someone has some good advice for me. Diagnosed with L4+L5 disc herniation. Lots of pain and numbness in legs. I was automatically told to visit a neurosurgeon. I know a little about back problems as I have done lots of research on the subject for someone close to me. I really was expecting a diagnosis of herniated discs as I have done a lot of heavy lifting and lots of yard work for years. I have had lots of back pain on and off for years but it always got better. When the numbness in left leg did not go away I decided to go to Dr. who also does DDI treatments as I know someone who did those treatments and it worked very well for them. I was expecting to take those treatments myself but to my surprise was told to go to neurosurgeon. I told the Dr. office that surgery would not be my first choice. I am picking up a disk of MRI and will go for second opinion. Any advice from someone who has been there would be greatly appreciated. I am a 46 yr.old female and weigh 95lbs, also like to drag race my 71 camaro but can not do it right now but am planning to get back to the track soon.

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 77
   Posted 9/9/2010 12:11 PM (GMT -6)   
I have a herniation at that level as well, and also at L5/S1 and L3/L4. I do not know anything about DDI treatments. I have been referred to a neurosurgeon as well, but this was after trying many other things first. I had a microdiscectomy in 1996 when I had my first herniated disc, but then herniated my second in 2008, and since then have tried all the standard non-surgical treatments and medications. I just found out yesterday that I now have a third herniated disc. So surgery may be in my future. What I'm trying to say is that it does seem premature to go straight to surgery in your case, unless of course the herniation is extremely severe and you are risking permanent nerve damage because of it. It can't hurt to have one appointment with a neurosurgeon to see what s/he suggests, but you should definitely get other opinions before making such a big decision. I'd have to say, though, drag racing seems extremely risky given your current situation. You risk causing permanent damage.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 25, 2018 11:43 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,459 posts in 329,341 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161835 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, scattycatty.
319 Guest(s), 19 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
logoslidat, HeartsinPain, mattamx, LorrieL., jberda1, Tredye, Anitas, Admin, Bob in Elkridge, Tudpock18, Jay79, chewbetta, InTheShop, SharonZ, CCinPA, MacroMan, paisan, Kay Tee, Sahale