Hi mom -
I sympathize with you because I am also sulfite intolerant/sensitive/allergic. I have dealt with this for years.
My allergist lumps sulfite sensitivity into the allergy group, but it's not like peanut allergy where any tiny amount sets off a reaction. With sulfite it's getting beyond your tolerance level that triggers a response. If your reaction isn't life-threatening you can test yourself (run this by your allergist!). My reaction is tachycardia, so I have to do some guessing based on past events.
There's a good explanation of how to calculate the amount of sulfite in foods at
I know I can't have a small glass of wine, which that could run into thousands of micrograms, but I do tolerate an occasional slice of pizza.
I read the website you posted. There's no sulfite (SO3) hanging on the medicine molecule, but it apparently is preserved with the stuff. Your only recourse is to call the manufacturer and ask how much they put in each capsule.
I never take liquid meds without reading the literature carefully because they are often sulfited. Same for IV meds! I carry a list of meds to avoid and another list of meds I have reacted to with me all the time. Stay away from Demerol which has 2 sulfites on the molecule. Flu shots and other immunizations are routinely preserved with the stuff. Many meds, like local anesthetics are now available without preservatives. Always ask for no epinephrine when getting numbed by the dentist. I've had my tachy reaction to that in the past!
I'm currently searching for a new pain med, so your post was particularly helpful to me. I haven't worried much about
pills and sulfites!