Hello my family, and gentle hugs to you all this evening.
I'm not sure what's causing the spike in my pain lately, but it's been unbearable. My body is doing alot more shutting down to cope. My family suggests more pain meds to help cope, but unfortunately I will run out if I do so. Instead I do what I can, and give in to the need to collapse and rest as possible.
I've an appointment with my Pain Doc next Monday. Time to get my perscription refilled and discuss four pills versus three to get through the day; 3 a day just isn't doing it most of the time lately. I was also planning to talk to him about extended release stuff and how the hunt for a surgeon was going when they called today.
So tomorrow I'm to call this Orthopedist they've sent my file to. I guess he does SCS unit implants; I mean that's the only logical reason I can see for sending me to him. Only thing I'm nervous of is I've seen this guy before. Granted it was two years ago back when Workman's Comp was still handling my case and they were refering me to specialist after specialist in hopes of trying to figure out what was wrong with me. It wasn't the nicest meeting with him. I remember it was a long drive and he was way behind schedule. After 45 min in the waiting room I finally got to see him and his surly comment was (after reading my file), "Why are you here? I don't see any problems with your bones in your x-rays. I'm a bone specialist. So why did they send you to me?" He really was surly, and I was very put off by him. I was upset that I had to apologize and explain why other doctors sent me to him, but there it was. "I'm not sure why I'm here. I was refered to you in hopes you could figure out what was wrong with me." Needless to say, it was a short visit, and I left feeling very upset. You can imagine I'm not all that excited to see this guy again, let alone let him do surgery on my back. However at the same time if he's my only current lead on a doctor that would be willing to do my risky surgery..... As I reminded my family, just because I have a surgeon now doesn't mean I'm committed to having the procedure done. I have alot of questions to ask this guy before I can fully make up my mind and say yes or no. I also have to trust my Pain Doctor and know that he wouldn't send me to this guy if he didn't think I should see him.
I did get a letter today from someone a few states over; now I just need to do some research on this person and the doctor they work with and maybe have a conference call with them to discuss if taking a road trip would be worth it. At least I now have more options then I did a few days ago.
Still not sleeping the greatest even when I don't take an afternoon nap. And I've been plagued by mirgraines lately. And when I get a migraine I'm down for the count for the day. Obviously I'l be mentioning these things to my Pain Doc when I see him next week, along with discussing anti-depressants to help with other issues.
Between pain and depression as well as lack of sleep ... well, there's other things as well, but I'm sure it's just the depression talking. It's just right now with everything going on it's so hard to have an optimistic outlook for the future.
Originally injured 10/26/2007 - Initial diagnosis; Tendonitis
Spent next year seeing specialist after specialist; Bone, Muscle, Hand, Neurologist, Chriopractor, Physical Therapist...
Went through a battery of tests, multiple MRI's
11/16/09 I was finally diagnosed CRPS - Stage 2
Permanently disabled, on Percoset.
February 2011 successful SCSU trial
No surgeon willing to do my SCSU Implant