Thanks for asking for/about
me. I did go to the appointment with my original surgeon. He decided to act like a first class jerk. We have had a difficult relationship since he missed my onset of Cauda Equina Syndrome after my first surgery and he blew me off basically for the next almost 18 months. Anyway, I wasn't thrilled about
seeing him and I'm sure he wasn't that thrilled about
seeing me, but while I wasn't willing to let him do any surgery on me, I wasn't looking for that, I only wanted to know how bad all of this is, and what my alternatives were. Anyway, I went to the appointment, and sat /stood waiting for the next almost 2 hours. Finally I got called back into one of the examining rooms and his med tech came in to tell me that he would only see me for the lumbar but not the cervical or thoracic issues.
Okay, I am most concerned about
the lumbar anyway. Then she comes back in almost a half hour later and now he wants me to have an xray before he will see me.
Okay, I agree to that too. Then I ask how much longer he is going to be......and she comes back and says that he will be at least another hour , but probably longer......now I am getting a bit frustrated. I don't blame the man if he doesn't want to see me, I am not thrilled about
seeing him either but the PM doctor wanted me to see him as soon as possible, so let's just do this and get it over with for both of our sakes. If he flat out doesn't want to see me , then he could have called or had his med staff call and tell me instead of making me go through all I have to go through to even come there in the first place. I had told them all that before making the appointment. Anyway, at that point, I decide I am done playing games with him, so I opt to cancel the appointment and leave.
Anyway, I finally found a new neurosurgeon in NYC and call to make the appointment for the consult. The office lady asks about the findings on the MRI's and I read the summaries to her from all three levels. Anyway, she actually consulted the neurosurgeon , who told me that he wanted me to see the ortho surgeon in his same building since any surgery would need both of them, the ortho to handle the hardware and the neuro to handle the spinal cord stuff.
I saw the ortho on Thursday, and will see the neuro this coming Thursday.
The ortho was very, very nice, and went over the lumbar issues with the MRI with my husband and I . Then he saw something on the films, excused himself for a few minutes . I suspect that it is a second occurrence of Cauda Equina Syndrome. In fact, I know that it is.
Anyway, he came back in and you could see that he was obviously worried about what he saw and in fact, had the same images that I was worried about up on the viewer. I asked him about Cauda Equina and while he didn't lie to me, he did kind of circumvent the question and said the neuro would need to take care of the neuro issues. And that he would send his recommendations to the neuro and would call him later.
Anyway, since both surgeons are in the same building, we went to the neuro's office to make the appointment and the woman remembered my calling. She told us that the ortho and neuro spoke not once but twice during my visit with the ortho. I think that she believed we already knew that they had called each other. I also know that most surgeon's , especially ones that you have not been seen by, don't necessarily get phone calls right away from another doctor, unless there is something important to be concerned about
I suspect that when I see the neuro on Thursday, there will be a push for surgery and rather quickly.