My dad has chronic back pain, spinal stenosis?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 1/18/2012 5:26 PM (GMT -6)   

my dad is suffering from back pain for two weeks now. When he walks, he bends his body to reduce the stress on the lower spine and the pain gets better as soon as he sits down. I've heard that these can be symptoms of spinal stenosis. Are there any exercises he could do to reduce the pain? Found some here but I'd appreciate it if you know some more.

Post Edited (Sam453) : 2/12/2012 2:15:30 PM (GMT-7)

Betsey Ross
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 1056
   Posted 1/18/2012 6:45 PM (GMT -6)   
First I would like to welcome you to our forum.  I am sorry that I dont know of any exercises to help the back.  Im sure that one of our members will be along with some helpful information..
Nice to meet you

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 1/18/2012 9:18 PM (GMT -6)   
I have lots of spine problems, but I certainly wouldn't attempt to diagnose your father. I'm just a patient. When I've had new or increased pain I've gone to my pain doctor and he's been good at diagnosing my problems. I've also tried an orthopedic surgeon and a family doctor who have given me good advice and treatment.

I have sometimes been prescribed physical therapy, which mostly consisted of several "core strengthening" exercises. But this was after seeing the doctor, getting an examination, and sometimes I needed X-rays or an MRI before treatment.

You have to know the cause of pain before treating it. You wouldn't want to do exercises if there was a fracture in the spine! Torn muscles or a bulging disc could be worsened by doing the wrong exercises too.

You are a good, caring person. I hope you will be able to get your father to see a doctor to get a diagnosis if the problem doesn't get better soon.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 9664
   Posted 1/18/2012 11:05 PM (GMT -6)   
Get your Dad into his Primary care physician (PCP) and from there he can get referred out
to the specialists...maybe look into having him get some mri's done before anything else
so if anything should show up it can be properly's never good to self
diagnosis back problems...Many well wishes and do keep us posted as we do care...
Hope your father can get the help he needs, but make an appointment for him, sometimes
men can be stubborn (and some women too, like me)...Many well wishes...and it's good you
care so much for your Dad...
* So many dx's I could write a book* "It would be nice if we could use the edit button in real life"...
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:08 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,783 posts in 329,263 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161802 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Ultimo_G.
240 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
oceanfisher58, hambiscuit, Journee, jrpsf, Chutz, Woodduck12