Well thank you for such a warm welcome! Hopefully I can clarify dates of the two big procedures:
in May 2013 I had the anterior which is where they went through the front of my neck and did an EXCELLENT job of hiding the scar. I was scheduled to have only one level fused during the surgery: C5-6 and the surgery was scheduled to take an hour and a half. Almost five hours later, the surgeon finished and went to talk to my mom to tell her I was okay, but that once he got in there, another level needed to be fused as well: C6-7 AND that I had two bone spurs, one he described as something akin ti gargantuan.
When I was in recovery and he (my surgeon) came to talk to me about
the procedure he told me that when he got in there "he found quite a mess". Anyway, what he told me when we were scheduling the procedure (I'm jumping around and I apologize) that he'd be using cadaver bones. He was one of the surgeons who patented this new procedure and had an 85% chance of success, 15% chance i wouldn't get relief and a 5% chance it would be made worse. Guess who fell into that 5 percentile result range?
But although I did enough complaining and whining and insisting SOMETHING was wrong, he insisted that everything was fine, I was just healing slower than he would like to have seen. However, in that same breath, he admitted that there always seems to have something go wrong when you're working on a friend, peer or family member. His girlfriend lives right next door to me and we'd been friendly for a couple years.
Anyway. He refers me on to pain management where I've explained what a waste of time effort and a lot of money that cost me.
So, let's fast forward to my second major surgery, but first can I jump back to the meds he used for my surgery? I had the morphine drip which I had been given for two other surgeries that have nothing to do with my neck or back. I have no problems with morphine. And he sent me home with 10 mg Percocet and 5 mg of Baclafin. The combination worked like charm.
I still could feel that different pain running down my right shoulder, trapezoid muscle and neck, of course, and sometimes that pain took my breath away. I knew something was wrong. But I digress. Back to this second surgery. I woke up in recovery, like I said. Regan in the exorcist had nothing on me. I was in pain, White Beard, the likes of which I didn't know existed! I was begging for morphine. Not the drip I could control myself, but a shot to get my pain to the point I thought I could live through.
For some reason, the we're taking the Dilaudid route. I kept screaming it wasn't helping and the kept assuring me that it was working because it is 7.5% stronger than morphine and to relax and give it time. So I tried.
But then I began to sob, uncontrollably and like a crazy person and I needed help. Begging for hop. Then use actually scolded me and said that crying/sobbing in that way was making the pain worse and that her advice to me would be to stop my blabbering then I'd feel better.
Anyway, I realize I'm very long winded and I'm on my iPad so all this typing is being done by my hand and a stylus and I am sorry.
However, the hospital refused to give me morphine and insisted on the Dilauded drip with a Tylenol drip with one oxy pill orally every 4 hours. I was still in pain begging them to witch it up.
At this point, after all my begging, they decide to tell me that they couldn't switch me now because my liver levels were high because with the dilaudid they had been giving me bags of Tylenol drips.
They made it sound like other than the fact I'd had too much Tylenol at this point, they would do anything they could to relieve my pain. It was one of the roughest nights of my life. Anyway, hopefully last time this time go around, they sent me home with a million 4 mg of dilaudid pills, about
90 generic valiums and fetanyl pain patches. My body does not respond to dilaudid at all.
Anyway, I finally called the surgeon's office a few days later and the hooked me up with 10 mg oxycodones. I couldn't believe it! Why wouldn't they hook me up with them when I was begging! My mother has been staying with me and is very strict and regimented in doling out the pills. Which is good. My dream combo would be percocets -7.5 mg with half- whole Valium. And I change my pain patch every 3-4 days.
I'm sure your eyes are rolling around in your head reading this mess and boring account of my life this past year. My friends and family and coworkers listen with a mixture of pity, concern and boredom in their eyes and on their faces. I can't blame them.
However, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to not only read this, but comment, offer sympathy and give me advice. You're the best new friend a girl could hope for!
My first follow up is Thursday, May 8 with the surgeon. After reading this, can you give me advice/ideas of what to ask him/what my concerns are, what kind of MEDS I should ask for if hell give me any more because I'm 4.5 weeks out of surgery. Should I be dancing soon? :). Thanks, White Beard. I'm a semi brown, blond, brunette with NO beard :)
Cori, I made you some paragraphs to make your post easier to read.
Post Edited By Moderator (straydog) : 5/6/2014 5:38:46 PM (GMT-6)