I just want to list the facts that I experienced as a 4 year medtronic pain pump patient.
1 I had been in the medical field prior to the pump and researched and studied everything that I could get my hand on befor being implanted.
2.I had the surgery doene in one of the top universities hospitals and my pain Dr. was one of the best, he was also a practicing anesthesiologist for the university and was accompaied by one of the very best general surgeons. ( I went through the trial implant and thought that I had been saved from the pain of multipal illnesses)!
3. I went through the surgery fine. However, after the surgery they failed to tell me that you will go total withdraw of any oral pain relief that you had previously. It was HELL until they could get the pump going and they started with very low doeses of meds until any relief at all was felt.
4. As Gramps said the expense is huge!! The follow up's rushing to the Dr. to have boluses for extra pain relief were many.
5. My pump twisted and turned in my abdomen all the time, I went through as many as 21 sticks at one time just to find the small port that must be alighned to fill the pump. ( This was a problem at just about every fill, also ask about the needle that it takes to fill the port)!!
6. Finallly the batteries on my pump went bad after 3 years, this was after many, many issues with med problems, kinks, twists, etc.
7. I went in to have the batteries changed as a one night stay, and ended up with septic and staph and underwent 2 surgeries in 3 days, ( two abdominal and two spinal)!! I was in the ICU for weeks with infectious disease doc's not expectimg me to live...
8. Now I live with MRSA and terribal bulging scars on my abdomen, and arthritis of the spine that I need even more opiates for dailey..
9. Just one thought for you ninanina, once you have had a intrathecal pump implanted it is like a tatoo, you will ALWAYS know and remember and live with that.
I wish you a lot of luck and I pray that you do research this comepletely. I must tell you though that you will forever forget the bikini line!!
I wish you the best pain relief possiball, this is just my experiance as Gramps was just his experiance,