how did u convince your doc to refer you to a pain management dr?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 12/12/2007 11:57 AM (GMT -6)   
I have suffered endometriosis pain for over 10 years now ive had 4 lap surgeries since 04. 2 of which i had this year. i have asked my doc for pain meds and all he will give is darvocet which doesnt help with the pain. on top of endo i also suffer migraines, and inflammatory arthrits. ive tried to explain to him that i suffer daily and that darvocet does not help me. he basically said he could not prescribe anything stronger.  

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 495
   Posted 12/12/2007 12:17 PM (GMT -6)   
Frenchie - WELCOME!

The best advice I can give you is that if your doctor is unwilling, or unable to help you, to find a new one. If you need something for the pain, consider calling the surgeon that operated on you, and ask if they could refer you to a pain management team. Have you flat out asked your doctor to refer you, or just said you need stronger pain medication? Best of luck to you!

"When we come to the edge of the light we know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, of one thing we can be sure; either God will provide something solid to stand on... or we will be taught to fly.'"

"Cause when push comes to shove You taste what you're made of, You might bend, till you break Cause its all you can take; On your knees you look up Decide you've had enough, You get mad you get strong Wipe your hands shake it off, Then you Stand" From "Stand" by Rascal Flatts
Dx.: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Ulcerlative Colitis, Chronic Inflammation of the Colon, Ruptured & Fused L4-L5-S1 w/pinched nerves, Degenerative Disc Disease, Chronic Costochondritis, Back Muscle Spasms, Asthma, Benign Tremmors (hands)

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 9255
   Posted 12/12/2007 6:40 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Frenchie,

Tammy gives good advice. If you haven't asked your PCP then do that first, then try the specialist. Your doc is not treating you with compassion or respect, both of which you deserve. If he won't refer you then fire him. You'd fire a mechanic who screwed up your car!

Co-Mod Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Forums
Fibromyalgia, Ulcerative Colitis, Insulin dependent diabetic, collapsed disk, dermatitis herpetiformus, osteo arthritis in spine and other locations.

The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. Albert Einstein: (1879-1955)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 763
   Posted 12/13/2007 8:44 AM (GMT -6)   
your Dr. is working for you . You pay him . Just tell him you would like a referal to a pain dr.

Syringomyelia T4-T10
Chiari Malformation
Decompression Surgery 1999
""Remember That Life Is Short!!!"
Life is short, break the rules, Forgive quickly, Love truly, laugh uncontrolably, And never regret anything that made you smile. <!-- / sig -->


New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 7:32 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,817 posts in 329,266 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161807 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Wimp7755.
280 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
mrs. george, zack36, getting by, Darla, Pratoman