For the ladies: Rectal-Vaginal Fistula question

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 153
   Posted 4/3/2008 11:38 AM (GMT -7)   
I saw my GI this week about the increase in gas coming out of my vagina as I am concerned that it may be a fistula. He agreed that it was something we should look into and has scheduled me for an MRI. He also suggested I get a referral for a gynocologist. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of the tests performed for fistulas? Not freaking out just yet but.......
Thanks everyone.

32-year-old female diagnosed with CD in 2001.
Currently taking Pentasa 4g x four times daily and probiotics.

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 345
   Posted 4/3/2008 2:04 PM (GMT -7)   
I'd be interested in hearing updates on this or other feedback.  I couldnt get a doctor to look at mine - gyno said it was GI's issue, GI said it was gyno's issue. sad
33 years old. Diagnosed in 2002ish. 
Taking Asacol, Lomotil TID, and on Remicade since 2004. 
Lower Bowel area only, except for the short stint (about 2 weeks) that I had mouth sores.  Also have external/anal fistula and anal/vaginal fistula. 

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 3763
   Posted 4/3/2008 2:31 PM (GMT -7)   
All I can say is keep pushing. I didn't and now mine is permanently "healed" open. I don't have any pain with it, but it does cause its problems, like recurrent infections.

CD 19 years offically, 29 unofficially. 3 resections '93, '95 '97
Symptoms constantly but all tests show only minor ulcerations. Currently having multiple episodes of gastritis with no known cause.

Prednisone, 6MP,Prevacid, B12 shots, Bentyl, Xifaxan.....

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1220
   Posted 4/3/2008 3:31 PM (GMT -7)   
I was told if they suspect a recto-vaginal fistula, they put dye in the rectum and see if it comes out the vagina. Don't know what they do for non-recto-vaginal fistulas.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 2346
   Posted 4/3/2008 3:41 PM (GMT -7)   
An mri is one of the best tests for finding a fistula. What fallColors is talking about more than likely would have to be done in an OR under anesthesia. Actually, I would suggest an exam under anethesia. Your colorectal surgeon can look around on the inside, and they then can insert dye and see if it comes out anywhere.

Beachy Mom
New Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 18
   Posted 4/3/2008 3:45 PM (GMT -7)   
My GI doctor did a in office scope to confirm my rectal-vaginal fistula. Then they scheduled me for a colonoscopy and then scheduled me back in to have a seton placed. My doctor is very thorough when it comes to fistulas - compassion and understanding lacks a little.
Just "Beachy"

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, November 20, 2017 8:01 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,896,047 posts in 317,863 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157460 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Calligirl.
409 Guest(s), 14 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
KevinJWhite, Calligirl, mattamx, BabsBunny, MeGoSun, Wilderness, Hoagie, Scaredy Cat, hunter46, quincy, ChickenArise, Rtp85, Tall Allen, straydog

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.