Two Strictures-Surgery Questions

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 4/28/2008 5:33 PM (GMT -7)   
Hello all. I am new to this forum. Hoping for feedback! I have 2 strictures, one high grade near the splenic flexure and the other involves a slight thickening of the colon wall near the Cecum in the ascending colon. I have had Crohn's for almost 40 years and did not know it until 2000 but have not had any abdominal symptoms until about a year ago. Before that it was mostly joint inflammation. I have been taking Pentasa, Entocort and most recently Humira. The current symptoms include gas pain, an inflamed feeling along the transverse colon and lots of noisy bowel. The symptoms are mostly at night. The barium enema and a colonoscopy clearly show the stricture at the splenic flexure but the doctor could not get the scope past that stricture to examine the rest of the bowel. He said the CT did not clearly indicate the condition of the smaller stricture but he feels he needs to take them both out including all the colon in between and past the bend at the splenic flexure. He says that I could leave the smaller stricture but because he can't see it internally he recommends removing it.

My concern is how much difference is it going to make if I have one foot or two to three feet of colon removed? Will I be forever tied to the toilet if more is removed? I was thinking with new medications becoming available such as Humira I might be able to keep the inflammation down and keep the smaller stricture from growing. I did seem to feel better on Humira and the doctor wants me to take it after surgery anyway. I am scheduled for surgery on May 5.

Sorry for the long post but the thing is I don't feel all that bad and it's hard to submit myself to surgery especially when I am not sure of how far I should take it. If anyone has a similar situation I would really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks all!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 4363
   Posted 4/28/2008 5:35 PM (GMT -7)   
I haven't had surgery, but I would certainly recommend getting a second opinion from another doctor before making such a major decision. Good luck
49 yr. old female, diagnosed with Crohn's in small intestine and terminal ileum Sept-Oct. 2007. Also have IBS, and had Salmonella Dec. '07
currently taking Pentasa- 8 250mg pills per day, Cipro 1 week/month, Metamucil, probiotics

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1256
   Posted 4/28/2008 6:23 PM (GMT -7)   
I would get a second opinion . You haven't even had an obstruction so I assume you are passing stools. You just started Humaria I would give it more time its suppose to work well on strictures. Surgery should be your last resort once they start cutting its a new ball game. Most peeps develop strictures from scar tissue from surgery those type do not go away with meds but the strictures from inflammation do respond to meds.
I have a few strictures and my doc says since I am passing stools and have no pain we wont cut until absolutely necessary.
Good luck,sm
Confucius say : He who goes to bed with itchy butt wakes up with stinky finger.

Words of wisdom: Never trust a fart

:) Sugarmarie A.K.A. Poopy Pants :)

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 382
   Posted 4/28/2008 9:43 PM (GMT -7)   

Hi Johnnycomelately.

I am waiting to see a colorectal surgeon on May 7th. I was just diagnosed with Crohn's last July and have a stricture in my sigmoid colon. I have had three colonoscopies by three different GI's and saw a general surgeon in December. On my last procedure report GI stated this is a difficult situation. She is asymtomatic. Was scheduled to have two Remicade infusions but in the process of being referred from one doctor to the next, it did not happen and last GI thought I would require surgery within the next year anyway. With no usual symptoms of diarrhea, bleeding or abdominal pain this is a hard decision to make.

Hopefully like you, Sugarmarie, the surgeon will say we won't cut until absolutely necessary. But then I am reluctant to take meds too and how long do you wait?? And is it better to have surgery when you are well and have elective surgery??  Will know more in a few weeks.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

55 yr. old F dx. CD 07/07
Currently on no medication

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 9448
   Posted 4/28/2008 9:44 PM (GMT -7)   
I'd cancel that 05 May surgery NOW and get a second opinion as well. A good, thorough CT enterography could well give a better answer to what is going on at the cecum/ascending colon. What they take out they can't put back. MOST GOOD colorectal surgeons want to SPARE as much intestine as possible. Crohn's tends to move UP the GI tract rather than down, meaning despite resecting the cecum area it may well continue up into the small intestine. From the little information you've been able to provide I sure would NOT agree to surgery as extensive as this surgeon is recommending. But these are my personal feelings and thoughts on the subject. What they take out, they can't put back in and each surgery creates its own scar tissue (adhesions). The colon is where the water is removed from the chyme and turns it into formed stool.

Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Post Edited (CrohnieToo) : 4/28/2008 10:47:59 PM (GMT-6)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, November 20, 2017 12:29 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,634 posts in 317,819 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157427 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, schroddie.
248 Guest(s), 7 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
CharlotteR, Claira14, Patiently1, Big Tasty, testuser1234, GabrielG, BOB 46

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.