What type of Dr do you see.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2008
Total Posts : 165
   Posted 8/8/2008 8:40 AM (GMT -7)   
Hello again. I have my GI Dr.but I am looking for a new General Dr. Mine does seem to understand my disease. Would a Internist or a GP be a better bet?? What do you use.
 I Love MY Chihuahua: Roxy
DX with CD of the TI in 2004 by colonoscpy biopsy, with partical obstructions x 3. Anemic, constant elevated ESR & WBC. Constant abd. pain and fatique.    
Meds: Vit B-12 shots monthly, zinc, multi vit, Vit E, Pentasa and now Entocort.    

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 422
   Posted 8/8/2008 8:46 AM (GMT -7)   
I, personally, would go with an Internist. My reasoning is because earlier this year I went to see a Cardiologist who started out as an Internist. He knew a lot about Crohn's Disease.
Diagnosed in October, 2004 at age 33.
Current Rx's: Colazal (generic), Nexium (generic), Ferrous Sulfate, Librax, One-A-Day multivitamin, Align Probiotic, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc, Cranberry pills
Secondary conditions: mouth ulcers, joint pain, swelling ankles, extreme fatigue
Previous/occasional Rx's: 20mg Prednisone taper, Flagyl, Levaquin
No surgeries to date

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 1642
   Posted 8/8/2008 8:48 AM (GMT -7)   
I see a GI for CD and Rheumy for Joint issues and GP for other stuff....


Karen (Karendee)

Diagnosed w/ Crohn’s Disease  March 2007 Started Humira June 2008 (have been on other cd meds)

Diagnosed w/  Fibromyalgia May 2007 also on Soma

Diagnosed w/ General Anxiety Disorder in 2005- Effexor and now new med Clonazepam starting 7/18/08


Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 87
   Posted 8/8/2008 9:19 AM (GMT -7)   
My PCP is an internist and I also have a GI

Diagnosed with crohn's in January 2008! 
Pentasa 1000 mg 4 times a day
Was on topamax for migraines...off now to try to get pregnant
No longer on Nexium...well now i"m back on it! 
I am 27 years old and have been married for 2 1/2 years.  My husband and I are currently going to try to get pregnant.  This is our first month trying, so wish us luck!!

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 8/8/2008 9:22 AM (GMT -7)   
My PCP is an internist, then I have a GI and a Rheumy. I see all quarterly unless I am having problems.
Been living with Crohn's Disease for 32 years.  Currently on Asacol, Prilosec 60 mg, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain and Calcium.  Resections in 2002 and 2005.  Recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and doing tests to see if I have Inflammatory Arthritis or AS.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1169
   Posted 8/8/2008 11:21 AM (GMT -7)   
An internist is generally the best primary care physician -- good training (a 3-year residency) with a broad backgroind and a strong emphasis on diagnosis. Most of the subspecialists in medicine (GI, cardiology, rheumatology, endocrinology, allergy, etc.) start with a full internal medicine residency. The GP (now called family medicine in most places) is often well trained too, but I believe that's a 2-year program most places, with some sideline work in minor surgeries. Finally, the tradition in medicine has long been that the brainiest med school students tend t go into internal medicine because they like the challenge of diagnosis, while the jocks go for surgery . . . a good reason to go with an internist when you need somethijg figured out.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1034
   Posted 8/8/2008 7:20 PM (GMT -7)   
i have an internist who gave me a standing authorization through my HMO to see my GI whenever i want. i also have a chiropractor and acupuncturist and personal trainer and nutritionist. the chiro and acupuncturist i have to pay for out of pocket. my acupuncturist is also an herbalist. my brother is my personal trainer so that is free. i am my own nutritionist/health coach. i am looking for a good naturopath though.

an internist or GP - makes no difference really. an internist can do more. but for us, we really just need to see the GI as most of our problems are digestive related and we need that specialist. i'm lucky if i see my GP once a year, and this usually to get a referral to see some other specialist.

that is my 2 cents plus some change.
Crazy Harry

Crohn's since 1993 (17 yrs old then)
surgery in July '05 - removal of 2 inches at ileum and 8 inches of sigmoid colon (had fistula into bladder)
Nov '05 developed colonic inertia; July '06 told i needed ostomy surgery
began maker's diet in August '06 - now feeling the best ever with no symptoms of colonic inertia and i kept my colon
med free as of 10/31/07

ski bum
Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 451
   Posted 8/8/2008 7:58 PM (GMT -7)   
My understanding is that a graduate from medical school, without any additional training (no internship, no residency) can treat patients as a GP. I'd go with a family practitioner or internist. I see an internist once/year. He's not an expert in IBD by any means, but I go to a GI for that.
50 y/o F. CD dx'd Aug 05. Initially on Pentasa, then Imuran 125 mg. Started Humira (very reluctantly) on 10/24/07. Ileocolectomy 4/08.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 2739
   Posted 8/9/2008 12:26 AM (GMT -7)   
I mainly see my GP, he seems to know more about all the effects of the disease. I'm looking to switch to a new GI doc. Been dragging my feet because I know they'll probably want to put me through the parade of tests again. So I dread that. Would love to find a GI that is really good with Crohn's patients.
Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2/06 after sever GI bleed. Has been suffering since 1998. History of rectal fistula and gallbladder removal. Currently taking Prednisone: tapering down again at: 4mg now, Asacol, Questran, Toprol XL (for high blood pressure).

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 6927
   Posted 8/9/2008 5:23 AM (GMT -7)   
LOL I have so many docs....
Forum Co-moderator - Crohn's Disease
We will find a way, or make one.-Hannibal (crossing the Alps in the 15th Century on war elephants) 
Make sure your suffering has meaning...-?
All suggestions/options/opinions are caveated with please consult with your local health care provider...

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 471
   Posted 8/9/2008 6:11 AM (GMT -7)   
yeah me too MMMNAVY. lol. for digestive problems though I see my GI and my family doc. I'm currently trying to switch family docs though. maybe I'll look up some internists.
27 female
Bipolar, panic disorder, PTSD, PCOS, hashimoto's disease/hypothyroidism, acid reflux, and in the process of being diagnosed with either crohns, colitis, or even lupus...who knows really! the docs sure don't lol. Now possibly even celiacs disease!Lots of tests coming up so hopefully I'll know more soon. Too many meds to list!

Texan with Crohn's
Regular Member

Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 362
   Posted 8/9/2008 7:30 AM (GMT -7)   
I think I am to the point where I have given up on GI doctors altogether. I always feel more like a number than a person AND it's tests, tests and more tests... all of which come out the same over and over and over. We want to cut you open and take a look under the hood. No thank you! I have a wonderful PCP and now a great acupuncturist/Chinese herbalist, both of which see me as a person and care.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 598
   Posted 8/9/2008 9:56 AM (GMT -7)   
I see an NP under a GI twice a year, a rheumy- just started so no schedule yet, a hematologist, and an NP who has her own family practice with another NP as my PCP. (In my state an NP can work alone, without a physician covering) I've had internists in the past who couldn't figure it out but kept trying and I had to beg for referrals. My NP is very liberal with referrals. She also has a science background, not nursing.
10 years, many tests, 3 gi doctors, Pentasa 1000mg 3x day
diovan, simvastatin,levothyroxine, sertraline, lyrica, methotrexate, down to 2.5mg prednisone and miserable.     

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 2739
   Posted 8/9/2008 10:12 AM (GMT -7)   
I hear you Texan, that's been my experience with having a GI as well. Not a fan of them at all.
Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2/06 after sever GI bleed. Has been suffering since 1998. History of rectal fistula and gallbladder removal. Currently taking Prednisone: tapering down again at: 4mg now, Asacol, Questran, Toprol XL (for high blood pressure).

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1220
   Posted 8/9/2008 11:01 AM (GMT -7)   
I have a Inernist who is good and knows her general stuff, like vitamin D levels, etc. I friend who is a Doc said, generally speaking, Internists are for adults because they have more training, and GP's are family docs who treat a lot of children.

I havs a GI who is excellent but seems a little rushed. He is very skilled and has a heavy patient load. But he will take the time necessary to answer my questions.

My colorectal surgeon also is excellent at his "craft". Unfortunately, I've made use of his skill on several occassions. He is very personable and caring, which can be rare in surgeons.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, November 25, 2017 12:58 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,897,743 posts in 318,046 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157600 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, orothyfosti.
232 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Bucko, mpost, celebrate life

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
©1996-2017 HealingWell.com LLC  All Rights Reserved.