maybe i should keep my mouth shut , but hey ive never been one to keep quiet.... with so many of us in disater zones, whether it be hurricanes, volcano's earthquakes , tornados etc... we all have to be prepared to survive on our own ...now i know this is possible cause people do it all the time ..
i will start and then you guys can add to the list of low cost easy to do things to help us all out and not have to depend on the "guvment" for everything..
first find some sort of large contanier to keep things in.
1. clean drinking water is the most important thing to have
2. shelter is number 2 a tarp or small tent is good
3. food that will not spoil is a good thing to have, canned goods, dry food etc...plus most canned goods have liquid in them decreasing the need for water.
4. of course a supply of needed medicines will be needed. if you cant afford to purchase a whole prescription extra for emergencies, try taking 1 or 2 pills from each one for a few months and pu them in your stash. most are good for a couple years. this way you will just renew a couple days early and no real jump in cost. byt he time your done you can have a couple weeks worth .
5. sanitation is next or you can put it higher on the list, a 5 gallon bucket and some garbage bags, a shovel , and wiping material.
6. some anti bacterial wipes, lotion, soap. the less water you use the more for drinking.
7. of course a first aid kit, a fire starting kit (magnesium) so you can light cooking fires and for heat. in a disaster there will be plenty of wood to burn so dont worry about having fuel.
8. a couple of cutting tools, knives, hatchet, saw etc... you never know what you will need them for.
9. a small sewing kit, for more than you think, repairing your shelter, stitching an open wound, fishing, etc...
10. a couple books, sounds funny but you will be bored and you can use the paper for fires, tp. writing mesages on etc...
11. and finally for my list is a means of defending your self against the ones who are not prepared, for if the situation persists, hungry thisty people WILL take what you have for your family by any means they can...
ok so what ya got? btw all of this stuff can fit in a container from wally world in the auto motive section are some good quality black and gray ones. by shopping around i bet you can get most or all of this for under 100 bucks. think thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets etc... in fact next time i make one for someone i will keep track of what it costs..