Individual Insurance & Pre-Existing Condition Clauses

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 5
   Posted 9/19/2008 10:07 AM (GMT -7)   
Hello all. I lost my job awhile ago and with it went the insurance, I have been doing temp work since then and of course benefits aren't included. I have been almost 4 months without insurance, and would like to have it again. I was looking into individual health plans, and noticed they all have pre-existing condition clauses. From what I gather, this means that for any prior medical condition you have had in the past 12 months, they will not cover you (for another year). Have any of you found insurance that covers you for Crohn's? What should I do?
Living with Crohn's since 2002.

No insurance, and no medication.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 1642
   Posted 9/19/2008 12:34 PM (GMT -7)   

you would have to wait the 12 months... unless you had some insurance in the last 12 months. then you could cut the time short and the wait might be less. (say if you had insurance for 2 months then have been off ins for 10 months then the wait is 10 months for you)


good luck,




Karen (Karendee)

Diagnosed w/ Crohn’s Disease  March 2007 Started Humira June 2008 (have been on other cd meds)

Diagnosed w/  Fibromyalgia May 2007 on Soma and Lyrica

Diagnosed w/ General Anxiety Disorder in 2005- Effexor and Clonazepam 


Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 239
   Posted 9/19/2008 4:18 PM (GMT -7)   
Check into state-sponsored insurance plans. If you're eligible financially they often are easier on pre-existing conditions. Try your state's .gov website. You can also talk to an individual doctor's practice and see if he will at least see you for doctor visits on a payment plan or sliding fee schedule. If you get prescriptions, the manufacturer's will often help with paying for it, and some counties are part of prescription discount plans. You can check with a pharmacy, usually the local ones are more knowledgable and helpful than the big chains. If you do end up with medical tests needed, hospital social workers or patient liasons can help linking you with local sources that will help with payment. Township trustees, churches, some places have a local 211 that can guide you to services. I link clients to community resources and there is often help out there, but it can take alot of phone calls, emails, letters. Good luck, I hope you can find some help.
diagnosed w/Crohn's 11/06. 34f with 2 boys, a lovable dog, and a wonderful husband. 150 mg Imuran, bentyl, vicodin as needed, metoprolol for orthostatic hypotension and heart palpitations. Bowel resection 9/07. Active disease back, darn it 8/08. 11 year old son with IBS-C, on Bentyl.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:05 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,905,472 posts in 318,864 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158220 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Pj585.
396 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
notsosicklygirl, Lapis_29, Italatin8, Artist Mark, Casa11, Aset28, Charlie55, Samura, Adagio, Hardlyrob, Supportive Daughter, straydog, JkorourkeRN for husband