My bowel resection was the best thing I did. It's been a year and the disease is back, but no stricture. This time last year I couldn't walk up the hill in front of my home because of pain and fatigue, and now I can run up it. My 15 year old son had to have two surgeries within a month and he recovered so quickly, it definitely made me feel old! Surgery is scary, but so is the thought of long-term steroids on a young body. If she is feeling 'torture' from the meds now, does she really want to keep on that road? Is she going to need the surgery as an emergency in 6 months anyway? Would she rather do the surgery now hoping she will feel much better in a few weeks, or would she rather fight the pain and sickness until surgery is inevitable? If the disease comes back in a year, and the real sickness comes back in 2 years, will those 2 years of being able to live a much less painful and fatigued life be worth it? I understand how hard it is to decide on your child's health, surgery or not. My son's second surgery wasn't completely necessary, but there were definitely risks to not having it done. One risk was that he would end up having the same kind of first surgery again, a more invasive one. I left the final decision up to him. We gave him all the info, let him talk to the surgeon alone, gave him our opinions, and told him to let us know his decision when he was ready. He became a very mature young man and gave it alot of thought. I hope whatever you and your daughter decide works for her, and I wish her some relief however she gets it. I can't imagine the strength she must have within her to go through all this disease throws at us at her age. She must have a great role model in her mom!
diagnosed w/Crohn's 11/06. 34f with 2 boys, a lovable dog, and a wonderful husband.
150 mg Imuran, bentyl, vicodin as needed, metoprolol for orthostatic hypotension and heart palpitations. Bowel resection 9/07. Active disease back, darn it 8/08. 11 year old son with IBS-C, on Bentyl.