? For those who have been on Remicade during pregnancy

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 60
   Posted 10/22/2008 7:43 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi everyone!  I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I was talking with my OB last week discussing due dates.  I will get a Remicade infusion at 30 weeks and then again after I deliver.  Obviously if I was to keep in schedule with my every 8 week routine I would be 38 weeks.  Is it worth it to be induced at 38 weeks and get the treatment or put it off two weeks and do it after I deliver?  I'm not sure I want to go more than 8 weeks between infusions.  Just curious as to what you've done.  I will discuss it with my GI when I go in 2 weeks, get his opinion.  My OB is completly supportive of inducing me at 38 weeks if necessary.  I know everyone is different, but I'd like to hear some experience!!  Thanks everyone!

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 158
   Posted 10/22/2008 9:57 AM (GMT -7)   
I have not ever been on Remicade before but know that there are many mothers here who have. I am not sure how you look up old posts but if you know how, there have been tons of posts on this topic. I am sure someone will respond soon.

Diagnosed with UC in July of 2003 then diagnosed with Crohns in August of 2006.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1811
   Posted 10/22/2008 10:09 AM (GMT -7)   
I have had 2 remicade babies and the thought of inducing never even occurred to me. I didn't know you could do that. How interesting! Are you currently in remission? Has the pregnancy been stable as far as your health goes? If so, I personally would not induce. I would just wait it out and let baby come when (s)he is ready. If you are doing well disease-wise, the "extra" time isn't going to hurt you or cause you to flare. In my opinion it would be better to ride it out because if your OB is supportive of inducing you, they can always do that if you start to flare and then get you a treatment ASAP, but if your health is steady, the chances of needing to do that will be slim.

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 60
   Posted 10/22/2008 11:15 AM (GMT -7)   

Thanks Stef. It does makes sense to go full term as long as things are going well, which so far so good.  Like I said, I'll discuss it more with my GI at my next infusion.  I appreciate your input.

I'm also a little worried about flaring afterward.  I think someone posted on this a few days or weeks ago.  It makes me nervous because of all the challenges that come along with taking care of a newborn, plus my 6 year-old and then adding a flare on top of that. 

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 165
   Posted 10/22/2008 11:28 AM (GMT -7)   
I have a 6 week old daughter and I was on remicade while pregnant with her. My GI wanted me to have a treatment 2-3 days before delivery (I was being induced at 39 weeks) but my OB wasn't for it really. My husband and I made the decision to hold off on getting a treatment until after the baby was born. I ended up getting the treatment about 36 hours after delivery and thus far have not had any crohn's related issues. My OB was willing to induce me so that I could get my treatment on time, but it was only about 6 days early according to the "official" due date on their little chart thingy. I ended up having my daughter on the day I was supposed to get my treatment (exactly 8 weeks) and then got the treatment 36 hours later. I have to agree with Stef that if you are doing fine, I wouldn't induce at 38 weeks. Chances are (from what I've heard) that you'll do fine afterwards if you wait the extra days/weeks for the baby to come on it's own if you aren't having any issues during the pregnancy. It's a personal individual decision that you and your significant other need to make and be comfortable with. GOODLUCK!!

Just a side note that there is new information out from the makers of remicade that if you have a treatment in the 3rd trimester, your baby should NOT have any live vaccinations. I think each state is different on what kind and when they give vaccs so check that out. :)
Fibromyalgia DX March 2003
Crohn's DX Jan 2006 (Symptoms since 96-Misdiagnosed as "female" problems-Major flare during pregnancy in 05 which lead to DX)
1st resection July 2007
Currently on Remicade/8 weeks

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, January 21, 2018 12:13 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,919,522 posts in 320,346 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 159408 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, healingatnight.
370 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
The Dude Abides, Girlie