I opted for a c-section, but had to deliver via emergency c-section regardless because my Twin A was breech and her pegged foot (she was missing a foot from her anomaly) tore through my cervix. (All that was pain med free by the way - I didn't get any relief until the spinal for the emergency c-section.
I, too, could not get my colon surgeon to give the OB an ok to do a c-section. He, too, stopped short of recommending delivery, basically stating it wasn't his call. He was just protecting himself, but when I explained how I felt it might be better and if he thought that was true, he DID agree with me.
I'm a fistulaizing Crohnie. I have 3 fistulas, 2 around my vagina that connect to my rectum, and a third on my perinium (sp?). In addition, I have a skin tag, 2 fissures, and I've had an abscess before as well...same region. So, I did NOT want to do any more damage down there. It was a wise decision on my part, but I require the c-section regardless.
That said, my RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) did recommend the c-section based on my history, but he too stopped short of giving the recommendation to the OB. Luckily, I have an AWESOME OB/Peri who agreed before the emergency section that we would do a section regardless.
I will say one negative thing about the c-section. It did take 5 days for my bowels to kick in. I took 2 doses of Miralax throughout pregnancy to even go (I ended up in the ER 3 times for compactions while pregnant - mostly due in part to Zofran), I continued taht until i was semi-regular. But, one thing I have noticed, is with my most recent flare, my pain levels are a NEW intensity. And, I fear I have some scar tissue around my small intestines from the section which causes me to feel more pain with a flare then before.
But, I think it was a minor trade off to doing irreversible damage to my rectum. My muscles have already weakened considerably... I know whenever I end up with surgery, my rectum will likely be gone..
Hope this helps somewhat... Message or Email me if you want to talk more... happy to share!
Kaycie - Age: 26
Crohn's - Dx Nov 05
Failed Remicade, moving onto a Clinical Trial called ABT-874 - Tentative start date - 10/2/08 - 10/16/08 - Infusion, every 4 weeks.
IVF #1 (In-Vitro Fertilization) - Failed
IVF #2 - IVIg, Heparin, Baby Aspirin - TWIN GIRLS!!!
Reagan Dawn - 8/2/07 - Lived 1 hour 27 minutes due to Cloaca, NOT affiliated with my Crohn's
Addison Maria - 8/2/07 - 13 months old