ER...when to go?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Cookie's Wife
Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 299
   Posted 11/9/2008 8:10 AM (GMT -7)   
I know this has been posted before but I'm feeling a little off today with the Crohn's...lot of pain, feeling dehydrated, nausea, passing blood... 
I had to go to the ER 2 weeks ago due to having a fever and now I'm feeling like I need to go again.  I don't have pain meds here cause my GI doesn't like to prescribe them to me...ugh! And getting hydrated on my own is next to impossible.  When do you know it's time to head to the ER wihtout feeling your making a big deal out of it?
"You alone are responsible for your happiness" 


Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 4219
   Posted 11/9/2008 8:27 AM (GMT -7)   
For me, I go when I can't stop vomitting and my doctor's office is closed. Only you know if it is an emergency that has to be taken care of today or if it can wait until your doc is open tomorrow. For hydration, have you tried pedialyte? When you say lots of pain, if it is new and different pain like one would get with a blockage then go- but if you are passing stuff it might not be a blockage. If it is just bad flare pain there really isn't much they can do for you besides maybe pain meds. If you are hydrated they will give you an IV.

How were you treated when you went for the fever? I'm guessing it was more than just a fever like accompanied with crohns problems or was a very high fever? Typically a regular fever wouldn't be an emergency. But if they were receptive and helpful that should give you a guide to how they will treat you this time around.
27 Year old married female law student (last year!!). Diagnosed w/ CD 4 years ago, IBS for over 10 years before that, which was probably the CD. I am sort of lactose intollerant too but can handle anything cultured and do well w/ lactose pills and lactaid. For crohns I am currently on Pentasa 4 pills/4x day and hysociamine prn. I also have bad acid reflux and have been on PPI's since age 13. I have been through prilosec, prevacid, and nexium. Currently I am on Protonix in the morning and Zantac at night. I also take a birth control pill to allow some fun in my life.

Cookie's Wife
Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 299
   Posted 11/9/2008 10:38 AM (GMT -7)   
My fever wasn't high...My GI tells me to go to the ER anytime my fever is over 100.1.  My normal temp is usually around 96.7.  They treat me fine at the ER so that's not the worry it's family that thinks I'm making a bigger problem out of it then necessary.  My pain is no different then what I'm used to it just is a lot worse today then normal.
"You alone are responsible for your happiness" 


Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 4527
   Posted 11/9/2008 10:54 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi I have gotten used from experience when to go. I know the pain of a blockage and when it's more then can be handled without pain meds is the time I would go.I used to stay home and suffer but now if I got that sick again I would not being worrying about others but be out the door on my way to help.Listen to your own thoughts on this others cain't tell what is inside you. lol gail
Hallarious woman over 50 ,CD ,IBS 27 years--resection,fistula's,obstructions,hemmies,and still gail

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 11/9/2008 11:24 AM (GMT -7)   
Gail has a good idea, if you feel this is more than you can handle, then I would head to the ER. I usually go when the pain is stronger than normal and I feel as if I am getting dehydrated. (Feeling weak and dizzy). If you don't have pain meds at home and are suffering I would go ahead and go. My choice to go to the ER is when my pain and nausea meds aren't working. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gail *Nanners*
Been living with Crohn's Disease for 33 years.  Currently on Asacol, Prilosec, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain, Zofran, Phenergan, Probiotics, and Calcium.  Resections in 2002 and 2005.  Also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis. Currently my Crohns is in remission.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 3763
   Posted 11/9/2008 12:04 PM (GMT -7)   
I spent a weekend about a month ago debating with my husband whether to go to the ER or not. I ended up not going because my husband thought I was over reacting even though I kinda thought I really should (This was not for CD, but for a drug reaction). I toughed it out and called my Doctor first thing Monday morning, at which time I was told that I was crazy I hadn't already gone to the ER and why hadn't I gone 2 days ago. Point taken. Trust your instincts and don't worry about what your family thinks! Not only am I still suffering from complications that might have been avoided, but the ER was mobbed and had been empty over the weekend and I wouldn't have had to wait 5 hours to be seen!

CD 19 years offically, 29 unofficially. 3 resections '93, '95 '97
Symptoms constantly but all tests show only minor ulcerations. Currently having multiple episodes of gastritis with no known cause.

Prednisone, 6MP,Prevacid, B12 shots, Bentyl, Xifaxan.....

Elite Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 10404
   Posted 11/9/2008 3:40 PM (GMT -7)   
Can you ring the ER, April, and tell them about the problems you're having and ask them if you think you should go in? However, I think that if you think you may need to be there, then you should probably go. You need to stay hydrated, and if you can't do it yourself, then you probably need their help.

Huge hug - I'm so sorry you're feeling horrible.

Co-Moderator Crohn's Forum.

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 79
   Posted 11/9/2008 4:01 PM (GMT -7)   

I must be really lucky because whenever I feel the slightest bit of pain and complain even a little bit then my family is ready to race me to the hospital.  I am the one who has to convince them its no big deal.

I always second guess myself and whether or not I should go and usually decide that once a fever hits, or I cant manage the pain with painkillers then its time to go.

Let us know how it goes April!


October 2003 - Dx/ed with Crohn's disease
April 2004 - 2ft of small bowel removed plus complications due to abdominal abcesses - 6 weeks in hopsital
October 2006 - perianal abcess, surgery to have drain inserted
February 2007 - abcess wont heal surgery for temporary ileostomy, started Remicade
Oct 16th, 2008 - Surgery to reverse Ileostomy - in Remission first time ever!!

Cookie's Wife
Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 299
   Posted 11/9/2008 7:04 PM (GMT -7)   
That's the bad thing... I don't have pain killers at home besides Tylenol and that doesn't do anything!  lol
I decided not to go.  I took some phenergan and took a nap.  Didn't help the pain but it at least let me relax a bit.  I think it's more out of fear that if I don't go and get it checked out I'm going to get as sick as I did in January when I put it off way longer then I should have.
Thank you all for your support!
"You alone are responsible for your happiness" 


New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:37 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,896,521 posts in 317,914 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157496 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, rifleguy.
410 Guest(s), 17 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Twinkle, Serenemarie, mattamx, Oldbuddy, Artist Mark, FearBug, Wilderness, Girlie, Sean.scott256, Yellow1955, Sherrine, Pratoman, gypsyfp, Imasumak, three 5's and a jack, GiGi2 five, jackinthebox

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.