19 year old still go to peditatric doc..questions help please!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 226
   Posted 1/30/2009 9:25 PM (GMT -7)   
Hey guys havent been around in a lil bit. Was doing alright until recently.
I really think im having anxiety/panic disorders. At night when I feel myself going to sleep ill wake up suddenly feeling chest tightness. Also my body will just jolt somtimes at night too. Today I was going over the walt whitman bridge to philadelhia and I started feeling really weird like I was having a panic attack or something..I never used to be like this but its getting scary and annoying.
As far as pain goes I still have the skin tags in my anus and Its hard to descirbe but sometimes it feels like some leakage or something and some really sharp pain coming from my bum. This isnt just after I have a BM either. And of course when i do go it hurts like he!!. Also my lower left side has some bulges/pain and my back will still have that weird feeling every once in a while and it seems like at the worst times. I think the back could be due to anxiey/gas pains but who knows.
Anyway I would like to get some meds to get me more comfortable. Even if its just taking them at night before sleep or whatever. The thing is I still go to a pedriatic reg doc and my GI is a pedairdtic GI also out of the childrens hospital of philsdelphia. My concern is asking these pediatric docs for meds for my anixiety/pain. My question is how do you think the child docs (who I can keep going to until 22 or out of college) will be with prescribing meds like this? Do you guys think I should look into getting an adult doc (which I have been debating to do for a while) Are adult docs usually good with prescrbing meds for pain/anxiety..AND Do I just need a reg DOC and a GI or would I have a go to pain mangment doc to get pain meds.
More than one question I know but I wanna get my stuff together and am going to have to start doing stuff on my own since I dont get much support at home. I am covered on my fathers insurance so getting appoinments/precriptions wouldnt be a prblem but is this a lengthly process im really seeking some relief soon. Please dont give the my tylnol/adivll and that stuff does nothing for crohns disease especially when you have constipation and gas! Also I know about the dangers of stuff like xanax and roxicodone/oxy contin (done a lot of reading) but if im going to suffer and unlucky enough to have this disease I wanna at least make sure im as comfortbale as can be ..

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 1753
   Posted 1/30/2009 11:10 PM (GMT -7)   
I think it doesn't matter if the doctor treating you understands your situation and is able to treat in accordance with that.
I use ultracet when I simply cannot stand the pain, but with warning from my GI that overusing narcotics could cause many problems. It's definitely a matter of letting them know you're responsible with something like that. I don't know what I would have done without those though. I couldn't even sleep regardless of the fact that I was sleep-deprived and physically exhausted, because of the horrible, continual pain. You shouldn't go through that either.

I know a lot of members here use xanax for stress, and I have heard it works pretty well. There are dangers to every potential treatment, but that doesn't mean the side effects listed on the label are a for sure thing. You just have to try and see..

I hope you feel better soon..
20 years old, Diagnosed with moderate to severe Crohn's and Colitis in May of 2008.
Currently taking:
Prednisone 15 mg, pentasa 2 pills 4x a day, bentyl as needed, omeprazole in the morning, multivitamin, humira every other week, and good probiotics.
Surgery for ectopic pregnancy most likely the result of severe Crohn's inflammation in July of 2008.
Attempting a diet without refined sugars, high fat content, bleached or bromated flour, most dairy, red meat, and avoiding anything spicy like the plague. Also refuse to eat anything with trans fat or high fructose/corn syrup.
"He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how."

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 4527
   Posted 1/31/2009 4:45 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Have you had a ultra sound or something to rule out abscess as you mentioned you have some bulging going on ..is your crohn's located in the rectal area? I think you need to discuss this issue with your Dr. and hope you have a appointment soon, or go to emerg as there might be something physical going on there with the weird feelings..Whatever Dr. you go to you should talk about all these issues. Wishing you loads of luck and let us know how things are going...lol gail
Hallarious woman over 50 ,CD ,IBS 27 years--resection,fistula's,obstructions,hemmies,and still alive.lol gail

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1766
   Posted 1/31/2009 7:56 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi, I have UC but I still also go to a pediatric GI. My GI wasn't comfortable with prescribing anxiety/depression meds, so I had to get them from my primary care physician (who is an adult doctor). You can always ask your GI first if he'll prescribe anxiety meds for you, and if he doesn't, then ask your primary care physician or see a psychiatrist. Good luck!
Female, Age 20
9 Asacol, Rowasa1000 mg Canasa, Proctofoam, Rifaximin 2/day
Digestive Advantage (Crohn's & Colitis)1 Florastor, 50 mg 6MP,1 Primadophilus reuteri, Remicade (6 infusions), 2.4 g Lialda, Forvia, 6 Colazal, 1 Anucort, Culturelle, Fish Oil, Calcium/Vit D supplement, 20 mg Prozac, VSL #3

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 239
   Posted 1/31/2009 11:52 AM (GMT -7)   
Two things I like to tell my clients: There is no such thing as a stupid question, and It never hurts to ask. The worst your ped GI could say would be no, and that could open up a whole conversation on if he thinks you need other medical support, such as a PCP or adult GI. You are the only one who is going to look out for your needs, so please try and speak up to your docs. If he gets an attitude, you'll know he's not the doc for you! And maybe he'll be very helpful! Give it a try, let us know how it goes. I hope you can get some pain and anxiety relief. Help with one of those may lessen the problem of the other too. I know I get more anxious, sleep less, etc, when I'm in pain, or worried about the next time the pain will hit. And If I'm anxious, stressed, my muscles tighten and the pain is always a little bit worse.
diagnosed w/Crohn's 11/06. 34f with 2 boys, a lovable dog, and a wonderful husband. <S>150 mg Imuran</S>, bentyl, entocort, vicodin as needed, Humira, metoprolol for orthostatic hypotension and heart palpitations. Bowel resection 9/07. Active disease back, darn it 8/08. 11 year old son with IBS-C, on Bentyl.

Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 226
   Posted 1/31/2009 10:26 PM (GMT -7)   
Ya thanks for the input guys. I guess I can call my docs and ask. Im sure no doc wants to keep someone on oxydodone or xanax though for a while. I really could use some relief. Im sure if I call my PCP though and start telling her about my crohns pain the first thing out of her mouth will be talk to your GI.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, November 18, 2017 1:37 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,894,993 posts in 317,758 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157361 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, luellapease.
236 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Chask, Gemlin

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow HealingWell.com on Facebook Follow HealingWell.com on Twitter Follow HealingWell.com on Pinterest
©1996-2017 HealingWell.com LLC  All Rights Reserved.