randynoguts, Valerie3, gachrons.. Thanks you for caring! I'm back from the hospital... here's the latest update.
Jenn, you & randynoguts were right.... it is a central line with 3 little tubes attached & is there for the reasons you both stated.
PV: suprisingly, my grandson's doctor answered just about
all my questions before I had an opportunity to ask them.
- Doc doesn't think this latest development was a result of the Humira but has not totally ruled it out.
- Might have been triggered by withdrawing the steroids all at once - doc admits that it was possible for my grandson to have become dependant to the steroids in 3 week & as such, should have weaned him off it. So, he's back on 50mg, simply to stop any withdrawl problems.
- Says "steroids" are not helping his CD at all.
- Heart rate still elevated but better than last night (was 140 but now 116)
- As to solumedrol.... she says "no, it's just another steroid.... won't work" ???
- She won't consider IV nutrition... says he is not, in the "clinical" sense, malnutritioned YET so will continue to have him eating normally. Told me to bring him home made soup!
- Did another MRI this aft of lower abdomen/rectal area looking for evidence of infection. She won't have results back until tomorrow.
- He's back on Cipro, Flaggyl & doc added Vincomycin (I'm glad about
- Potasium levels are still a little low so she has him on liquid potasium x1 a day.
- Hemoglobin is still low, but holding betw 88 - 90 & will blood transfusion him if they drop further.
- Her plan of action is to deal with this bump & get him over it. Will discuss further plans after that.
- Humira is still being considered, possibly in 2 weeks, unless this episode proves to be connected to it.
- he is bleeding internally, somewhere. Says she just hasn't found where yet.
- Changed his pain med from oxycodone to Demerol.
My grandson is taking this very well. His perception and emotional strength amazes me. He says its just a "blip", nothing to get excited about
Nana! I'll be seeing him again tomorrow aft. Thank you to all of you for caring. Hope this post makes sense! Goodnight & God bless!
19 yr old Grandson - Dx UC 12/08; DX CD 4/09
Dec 19/08 - Hospitalized (1st time)
Apr 9/09 - Hospitalized (2nd time) CD flare
Current Meds in Hospital: Humira injections started Apr 24/09; Oxycodone 15mg
Is still in hospital
Previous Meds: Prednisone 40 mg.
Asacol 800 & Morphine (allergy to both).
Hospital Suppliments: boost, low fiber diet.