Crohn's in the mouth

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351
   Posted 10/20/2009 8:38 AM (GMT -7)   
Hey everyone.  i was told by my gi that i had crohn's in my mouth.  i have i guess sores in my mouth but they are not open sores.  they are under the skin.  and my mouth and right side of my face is swollen.  also it feels like my glands are swollen on the right side of my neck.  also it's getting harder to swallow and chew.  should i call my doc and if i do what can he possibly do?  i have a scheduled cimzia injection with the nurse tomorrow.  do u think the doc would still have me take it?  anyone have a similiar experience?

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 6927
   Posted 10/20/2009 9:22 AM (GMT -7)   
well as always it cannot hurt to ask your doc
oral latocaine helps me
Forum Co-moderator - Crohn's Disease/Thyroid Disorders:_All comments have the caveat contact your local health care provider.

I will find a way or make one. –Phillip Sidney 1554-1586

All that I am and all that I shall ever be, I owe to my Angel Mother.

The Bucket List- Have you found joy in your life?  Has your life brought joy to others?

Make sure your suffering has meaning…

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 443
   Posted 10/20/2009 12:16 PM (GMT -7)   
I would think your doctor would want you to take the Cimzia, although of course if the facial swelling is new you should fill him in. Typically facial Crohn's symptoms like swelling respond the same Crohn's treatments as disease elsewhere in the body, so if you are responding to Cimzia, your upcoming treatment should help.

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 8
   Posted 10/26/2009 12:01 AM (GMT -7)   
Okay the sores that you may be referring to are called apthous ulcers.  They are easily confused with canker sores.  But the treatment is essentially the same:
avoid citrus, salts and anything that is remotely spicy. 
You may be able to obtain an oral rinse from your physician with lidocaine in it to help but over the counter Orajel will give you the same symptomatic releif without numbing your entire mouth.  Use as directed.  You can even try Ora-base.  Similar to Orajel but this leaaves a clear coating on the area to help prevent irritaion.
Whichever you choose to use be cautious and mind the foods to avoid.
Best of luck to you

Only you can change your life.  No one can do it for you.
Dx w/CD 12 years ago.  Syptoms for two years prior.  No meds until 2007 when I was hospitalized with a severe flare-up.  Found a wonderful GI and since have been placed on:  Pentasa 4grms per day, Entocort prn, Cipro/Flagyl combo prn, tried Imuran but scared to go back.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:13 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,058 posts in 318,917 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158257 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, hfttfhtfdsa1.
275 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
john16, Tudpock18, Eiren, Szabo246