Too funny. Zing! :-D
My husband already got the seasonal flu shot and will be getting the h1n1 shot when available. I got the seasonal shot and the flumist for the h1n1 (so that I can avoid being a vector of infection for my husband). Your concerns about
Gillian Barre are not unfounded - I have a friend whose father ended up in the hospital with Gillian Barre after a flu shot (but I don't know if it was with recent formulations of the flu shot or one in the 70s - I'm guessing it was the 70s). I think the best thing to do is to consult doctors and try to find a specialist (I have no idea what field their specialization would have to be in). This is what the CDC has to say about
Gillian Barre, and the possibility of acquiring it from a flu vaccine:www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm
Use your best judgement, and trust your doctors. That's the best advice I can give. I don't think anything is without risk, so make the best informed decision you can. Also, keep in mind that if you think you don't want to risk Gillian Barre, you can get TamiFlu to make the flu less severe.
Since my husband has not had his h1n1 shot yet, his doctor gave him a script
for tamiflu, and so now we have tamiflu on hand, just in case. Given that you have a family history of bad reactions to the flu shot, perhaps the doctor would be willing to give you a script
for tamiflu (for both you and your son). That may give you peace of mind, and should you get the flu, hopefully get you back on your feet quickly.
Husband with Crohn's
Diagnosed March 2003 Ulcerative Proctitis
Diagnosed March 2008 Crohn's & C-diff, hospitalized 45 days
Canasa, Lialda, Remicade, VSL#3, Florastor
In Remission since June 2008
Stopped vancomycin for c-diff Jan 1 2009
C-diff free, until Sep 2, 2009
Fighting c-diff, I guess for life