Health insurance for crohn's patients

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 10/31/2009 4:58 AM (GMT -7)   
I live in  the UK and I will be moving to the US (kansas city) in a couple of months.  I have crohn's and I am worried about the cost of my treatment in the US.  As I have a pre-existing condition I am conserned that I may not  be able to afford a health insurance.  I will appreciate if you could give me some advice on the cost of  health insurance and what will this insurance covers?
Also how this new healthcare bill would affect the availability and the cost of health insurance for crohn's patients.
BTW: I am 28 years old female, diagnosed with crohn's in 2005 and I have mild crohn's and currently on pentasa 500mg.
Your comments and advice will be really appreciated.

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 10/31/2009 8:37 AM (GMT -7)   
Honestly unless you get insurance thru your employer, you more than likely will not be able to get insurance. And because of forum rules, we aren't going to get into the political atmosphere dealing with the healthcare bill. Sorry about that, these discussions just get too political and heated.

Are you able to work? If so, just make sure you find a job that offers health insurance and you should be fine. I have health insurance and pay $20 to see a doc and $5 for generic presriptions, but pay $15 for brand medications like my Asacol. Hope that helps a little and welcome to Healingwell.


Gail*Nanners* Co-Moderator for Crohns Disease and Anxiety/Panic Forum
Crohn's Disease for over 33 years. Currently on Asacol, Prilosec, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain, Zofran, Phenergan, Probiotics, Calcium  w/Vit D, and Xanax as needed. Resections in 2002 and 2005. Also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, and Anxiety. Currently my Crohns is in remission, but my joints are going crazy!
It's scary when you start making the same noises As your coffee maker.
*Every tomorrow has two handles.  We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith"*
*~* *~*

Post Edited (Nanners) : 10/31/2009 9:47:38 AM (GMT-6)

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 39
   Posted 10/31/2009 8:42 AM (GMT -7)   
If you have health insurance through work in America, you better of than buying your own. Health insurance over here are all about profit. If you have a condition that will cost them too much money, you will get deny. Even if you qualify, there is deductible (your own money), you have waiting period and you sometimes must pre-aprove by the insurance company before you can see a specialist or go to the emergency. Your rate might go up if you cost them too much money. Not to mention drugs over here are over the roof. Some drugs for crohns cost up to $500 a month if your insurance dont pay for it.

Rider Fan
Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 1445
   Posted 10/31/2009 8:42 AM (GMT -7)   
I'm from Canada, so perhaps that disqualifies me from comment, but if I were you I would stay there - unless you're going to be making serious money in Missouri.

I don't think you'll have to worry about affording health insurance because I doubt anyone would sell you any. So it depends on whether your employer would offer it as part of a benefit package - and even then they could take it away at any time.

I wouldn't count on legislators to get much done. I mean, it only takes about 10 hours even on THIS site (in which we're all supposed to support each other) for the 'you are anti-American' accusations to start flying - as you can see on the latest health-care thread that was locked.

Perhaps someone in the USA currently can comment on your chances of getting affordable health care with a pre-existing condition better than I.
33 y/o male. Dx'ed in 1999. No surgeries.

Current meds: Humira 2/27/09. Proferrin iron pills.

Tried SCD, didn't work, now avoiding gluten and dairy.

Go Saskatchewan Roughriders!

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 10/31/2009 10:04 AM (GMT -7)   
Thanks for your comments. I will be moving to Kansas as my husband has been offered a job with 45K salary. This is more of career building than a money making move. As I have recently become a mum, I would not be able to work for at least a year. So 45k for three of us!

My husband is trying to find out whether the Kansa university (the place that my husband is going to work) offers insurance and whether I as his wife would be included in that.

if in any circumstance I could not get an insurance, how much will I need to spend each time I visit a doctor? as I am currently on 3g of Pentasa daily how much would that cost per month?

Regarding the new healthcare bill, my intention was not to start a political debate, I am more interested to know how will this bill (if passed) help those with pre-existing conditions to find an affordable health insurance and when is the likely time that this bill will take effect?

Thank you very much for your comments and support.

Carnival Huckster
Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 159
   Posted 10/31/2009 10:14 AM (GMT -7)   
My guess would be that the University does provide insurance for all of you. There are some states in the U.S. where you can not be disqualified because of a prexisting condition, however, I do not believe that Kansas is one of them. If at all possible, I would discourage you from moving to the U.S. I am there now and it is not a particularly people-friendly or business-friendly place to be (I own a company here and the health care costs for our employees are absolutely crushing. This would not be the case for us in certain other countries.)
34 Year Old Male
Crohn's Disease for 12 Years
Current Medications: 9mg 6mg entocort (budesonide)
100% SCD for past 90 days (on and off for 10 years)
4,000 mg MSM for 30 days
Vitamins E, D, C
No surgeries

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 637
   Posted 10/31/2009 12:07 PM (GMT -7)   
You could apply for medicaid, it is based on need, but I don't know all the requirements.

You could call the social security office on Monday for more information.


Check the website too.
Humira 2 times a month.
Lialda 2 X day
Imuran 200mg day
Phenergen PRN
Remeron 30mg day
Pain Meds

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 6927
   Posted 10/31/2009 1:04 PM (GMT -7)   
I actually attend the University of Kansas (blue and red) and Kansas State University (purple and white). If you are going to be in Kansas City you will either be at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KU MED) which is right on the Kansas border with Mo or University of Kansas Edwards Campus which is in Overland Park, which is the nicer area's of the two. The primary campus for the University of Kansas (there is no Kansas University per se it is just a common nickname to call it KU) is in Lawerence, which is actually about a 45 min drive from Kansas City (KC). So you need to find out for sure which campus he will be at.

Frankly it kinda depends on your husbands job on how insurance is going to be, but yes you should be able to get insurance' from the University, but make sure they include full detail for your coverage in his documenation.  While there might be a small waiting period, but school insurance is some of the best in the state.  I do not know how KU works for sure for staff and professors, but you will more then likely have a reduced rate for using the university health center and be able to get meds at a reduced rate.
This link should provide you with some information:
And while some disagree or you may catch someone on a bad day, generally Kansasan's are pretty friendly people (but maybe I am bias smurf )  and there is an email address in that link that you can find out exactly what your benefits will (as a spouse) be in alot more details.
45K in Kansas is more then the median income (actually it is pretty good money for Kansas, not Lexus money, but Ford Explorer, if you get my car metaphor :) ), but Overland Park is the richest county in the state and rent is generally inflated in University areas.  I would suggest finding a place to live within the next couple of months, unless the university will help you find a place.  Just simply because there is not always alot of housing close to the campus come fall.
I would suggest when you get here calling pharamacies and asking how much pentasa is because there can be alot of difference in price, depending the pharamacy and your insurance.
I will say you will probably need a car as public transporation is not always very availible in this state.
I saw Dr. Buckles one of the GI's at KU Med he is pretty decent and there are GI's in Lawerence if that is where you are going.
Also feel free to email me at if you have questions you do not want to share online.

Forum Co-moderator - Crohn's Disease/Thyroid Disorders:_All comments have the caveat contact your local health care provider.

I will find a way or make one. –Phillip Sidney 1554-1586

All that I am and all that I shall ever be, I owe to my Angel Mother.

The Bucket List- Have you found joy in your life?  Has your life brought joy to others?

Make sure your suffering has meaning…

Post Edited (MMMNAVY) : 10/31/2009 3:50:36 PM (GMT-6)

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 703
   Posted 10/31/2009 4:17 PM (GMT -7)   
Most states have high-risk insurance pools and Kansas is one of them. Cover Colorado's premiums aren't much more than from the typical insurance companies. Find a health insurance agent and talk with them. People bash the health insurance companies, but try to get assistance from the gov't--you have to be destitute before you'll get jack or squat. Thankfully the insurance companies took the initiative and established these high-risk pools, no thanks to the gov't.

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 209
   Posted 10/31/2009 6:18 PM (GMT -7)   
I work for a university in New York State and have full medical coverage paid by my
job benefits. Usually your cost of health insurance depends on your salary.
I am almost sure you will be covered on your spouses plan. There are some jobs
in my area that will give you medical coverage working part-time if you qualify.
Your biggest challenge will be to find a Gp,Gastro,and solid hospital.
Over the years, I've seen and talked to alot of Dr.'s nurses, surgeons,and medical
staff. You will be a long way from home ,but you should get outstanding health care.
Welcome to the USA,I hope you enjoy your time here.
B-12injections,Pentasa,Loperamide,Entocort,6mp,Hydrochlorothiazide,8 week
Remicade,vitamin-D,Fluconazole.More over the counter vitamin-D. Remission since surgery and 5-years, of 8-week Remicade.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 517
   Posted 11/1/2009 12:19 AM (GMT -7)   
i think the pre exiting clause is section 111 by memory but you should check it by googling the bill H.R. 3200 and reading it as I am not a lawyer. But i understand the goal to be insurance without denial for a pre existing condition

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 208
   Posted 11/1/2009 7:52 AM (GMT -7)   
You should be able to get healthcare on your husband's plan through his job. I would think a University would offer health care insurance. Be prepared for rising out of pocket expenses, though. Lately, even the best plans have larger co-pays and deductibles. In America, if you have a pre-existing condition you cannot get an individual policy. Even in states where they are not allowed to reject you based on that, they make it prohibitively expensive. I would not expect any public health plan to be passed anytime soon. Most people get their coverage through their job. I do and it is good insurance, although, costs are rising. My share is now $2400 a year. For a family plan, out of pocket is $4800. Even states with high risk plans for those with preexisting conditions, insurance is difficult to get. If I were you, I would get clear explanations about what coverage you will have from your husbands future employer. Very important, because if by chance you are not covered, better to stay in England. Good quality health care here in the U.S., but it is expensive.

New Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 11/3/2009 1:49 AM (GMT -7)   
Thanks for all the comments and advice.


my husband is going to be at The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC).I don't know which area is this uni.I really appreciate if could give me some information about the area which uni is located and unfortunately we don't have our own transport would that be very difficult ?

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 452
   Posted 11/3/2009 7:10 AM (GMT -7)   
Not trying to start a debate....but I thought Bush changed things with healthcare and made it illegal to deny or descriminate with healthcare insurance based on pre-exisiting conditions.  I never actually read what the bill says so I don't know exactly.  Have I been misinformed?

Crohn's Disease since '88

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 11/3/2009 7:16 AM (GMT -7)   
JavaJay I think you are mistaken.
Gail*Nanners* Co-Moderator for Crohns Disease and Anxiety/Panic Forum
Crohn's Disease for over 33 years. Currently on Asacol, Prilosec, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain, Zofran, Phenergan, Probiotics, Calcium  w/Vit D, and Xanax as needed. Resections in 2002 and 2005. Also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, and Anxiety. Currently my Crohns is in remission, but my joints are going crazy!
It's scary when you start making the same noises As your coffee maker.
*Every tomorrow has two handles.  We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith"*

Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 405
   Posted 11/3/2009 7:32 AM (GMT -7)   
Universities offer health insurance. Some offer Blue Cross Blue Shield. They're a decent insurance company, at least with the experience I've had.
I've been on two different insurance companies while receiving treatment and they've paid for everything. I have not; however, been officially diagnosed because my tests were inconclusive. It may be a little different. You should be able to get on your husbands insurance. My mom has other pre-existing conditions and she's been able to get on my dad's insurance in the past and now has her own policy.
Your best bet is doing some research. Good luck with everything and congratulations on the baby :-)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 1169
   Posted 11/3/2009 10:19 AM (GMT -7)   
Almost all group health insurance plans cover immediate family members as well as the employee. Some will exclude pre-existing conditions for a period of time (say the first 6 months) but again almost all will cover them. One thing they ask for is proof of continuity so bring documents showing the plan you were under before.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7150
   Posted 11/3/2009 10:40 AM (GMT -7)   
Your husband should contact the benefits office at the university (I included the link for you below--contact information is over on the right side of the page). As a fairly recent PhD graduate (and as someone who is looking to get back into a university job after being in industry), I am almost 100% certain that your husband's job will come with health insurance with the option of adding you and your child at a fairly low cost. Universities (especially public ones) in the US generally have very good insurance coverage.
Status: Remission since May 2009!
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son
Diagnosed with pancolitis on 1/30/09
Meds: Apriso (4 0.375g pills ONCE!! daily), mesalamine enema twice weekly, Natural Factors Ultimate probiotic 12/12 Formula, OrthoNovum, multivitamin.  Used prednisone (starting dose 40 mg) to get into remission.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, November 24, 2017 9:03 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,897,704 posts in 318,040 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157598 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Snake Doctor.
282 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Froggy88, Spring, birthdaysuit, fly with me, Faithmac, GiGi2 five

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.