((((((Dana)))))). I hope they'll figure it out soon. It was sort of the same with my husband too - he was in the hospital for 45 days, with c-diff and then diagnosed with crohn's on top of that. Once they did a colonoscopy and figured out how severe the inflammation was, he was followed by a surgeon as well, who went over all the details of the possible surgery with us, while the GI did everything possible to prevent that surgery, including 120mgs of solumedrol, bowel rest, and Remicade. It was remicade that saved my husband from surgery.
I hope the steroids, will help calm down the inflammation. Ask your GI about remicade and if it will be appropriate for you (it may not be the best if you have stricture forming or scarring disease). It really is best if you exhaust every medical option, before resorting to surgery. While it is very hard to wait these days for them to figure it out, it is unfortunately sometimes necessary. They must try something, and see if it works, then move on to the next thing to try, and wait, etc. If nothing works, is when they'll go to surgery.
(((Hugs)))) Hang in there sweetie. The TPN hopefully will give you energy. Do insist on some pain meds to help get through each day. Also, something to sleep at night maybe. This too shall pass honey. It's only a matter of time until you are out of the hospital and on the path to recovery.
Husband with Crohn's
Diagnosed March 2003 Ulcerative Proctitis
Diagnosed March 2008 Crohn's & C-diff, hospitalized 45 days
Canasa, Lialda, Remicade, VSL#3, Florastor
In Remission since June 2008
Stopped vancomycin for c-diff Jan 1 2009
C-diff free, until Sep 2, 2009
Fighting c-diff, I guess for life