Ever seen a social worker?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 703
   Posted 1/6/2010 9:25 PM (GMT -7)   
If so, what'd they help you with? I'm not even sure what all they do, and how much help they'd be to people with chronic diseases.
Cimzia, Asacol

Elite Member

Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 10404
   Posted 1/6/2010 9:40 PM (GMT -7)   
I think it would be easier if you told us what problems you were trying to address, and then we tried to identify the type of practitioner that would be the best fit for you.

I have dealt with social workers from time to time, but for me - for *me* - they were less helpful than other types of professionals.
Co-Moderator Crohn's Forum.

Medications for Crohn's ~~ Diet and Nutritional Therapy for Crohn's ~~ Dealing with Abscesses and Fistulae ~~

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10405
   Posted 1/6/2010 9:46 PM (GMT -7)   
I agree. Social workers have a variety of roles. Some help link you with resources, others are licensed to do counseling. Whether or not they're helpful often depends on the individual SW. There are good, caring ones and there are bad ones. Just like any other profession.

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 703
   Posted 1/6/2010 9:57 PM (GMT -7)   
Well, I think I'm fairly okay now, but like last year I was so sick I could barely go to the store, etc. It's was also hard getting much else done, spending a great deal of time sleeping, in the bathroom, feeling lethargic, etc. I'm also just wondering say in the future if finances become a problem.
Cimzia, Asacol

Post Edited (GDen) : 1/6/2010 10:07:53 PM (GMT-7)

Regular Member

Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 321
   Posted 1/6/2010 10:55 PM (GMT -7)   
A social worker may be able to help you find resources within the community that could help you. I don't know what your community has to offer or what your specific needs are but a good social worker will do a complete assessment and figure out what they can help you with. Also licensed clinical social workers can provide counseling if that is something you need too (which I think is good for everyone even if they don't have to live with this DD :P)
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity" ~ Horace Mann

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 1/7/2010 7:57 AM (GMT -7)   
I developed anxiety related to my Crohns and started seeing a therapist. I found her to be quite helpful in helping me understand why I was getting the anxiety and how to deal with it. I am actually thinking of going back and seeing her again, because when I have time off and nothing scheduled the anxiety likes to come back. So for me I have found them helpful.

Gail*Nanners* Co-Moderator for Crohns Disease & Anxiety/Panic
Crohn's Disease for over 34 years. Currently on Asacol, Prilosec, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain, Zofran, Phenergan, Probiotics, Calcium, Vit D, and Xanax prn. Resections in 2002 & 2005. Also diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, & Anxiety. Currently my Crohns is in remission, but my joints are going crazy!
*Every tomorrow has two handles.  We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith"*

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 9448
   Posted 1/7/2010 8:18 AM (GMT -7)   
I saw a wonderful licensed clinical social worker when my Crohn's returned after a 20 year remission and I had some other, unexplained (at the time) health issues and my long time family doctor had died and I was doctor shopping and .....

She was WONDERFUL! Most of my problem was due to losing confidence in myself due mostly to the doctor shopping and beginning to feel like a hypochondriac. She restored my self-confidence and then some. I think of her often w/great fondness and appreciation. I credit her w/my doing so well since!!
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 429
   Posted 1/7/2010 2:47 PM (GMT -7)   
I'm graduating in May with my bachelors in social work :) I'm trying for grad school in the fall for my masters. This disease and all the people who have helped me along the way were part of the reason I chose social work. Eventually I want to be a counselor but for now I think I want to start out doing hospital social work :)
35 year old Female

Entocort EC 9mg per day and Remicade

Tried Remicade 2 yrs ago for about a year and a half and loved it, got off it due to costs, tried Humira and it just didn't work for me so now back on Remicade.

~Trying to avoid surgery as long as possible~

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2007
Total Posts : 4392
   Posted 1/7/2010 8:43 PM (GMT -7)   
I've had my masters degree in social work for 28 years, so I'm letting you know my bias up front. If you are seeking therapy, it is very important that you ask the therapist about their treatment philosophy but also about their background and training. Psychologists have more training in psychological testing, but aren't necessarily better or worse therapists. You definitely want someone who has some experience working with chronic pain and chronic disease and hopefully some exposure working with doctors and hospitals. It is really ok if they don't know specifically about Crohn's...you can direct the therapist to the ccfa website and teach
him/her about your own experience of it. Furthermore, your personalities need to "click." If you are not feeling like the therapy is helpful after the first 2-3 sessions, then you probably need a different therapist.
Some social workers do not do therapy, but instead are in a role to help with community resources, community advocacy etc. You weren't specific about your purpose in seeing a social worker. Social workers and psychologists do not prescribe medication. If you are needing medication for depression or anxiety, you need to see your family doc or a psychiatrist, but the therapist should be collaborating with them in your care. I hope this helps!
51 yr. old female, diagnosed with Crohn's in small intestine and terminal ileum Sept-Oct. 2007. Also have IBS, and had Salmonella Dec. '07
currently taking Pentasa- 4 500mg pills per day, Metamucil and colace for constipation, probiotics

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 171
   Posted 1/8/2010 12:01 AM (GMT -7)   
For helping you find the kind of assistance you mentioned, a social worker would probably be a great help. It sounds like you have time between now and when you will need one, to find one that could help you find assistance. I think that last sentence gave me the spins. rolleyes

I feel a whole lot more the way I do now than I did a little while ago.
Crohn's Dx April 2006. Pentasa and Entocort EC

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:52 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,426 posts in 318,956 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158298 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Naheedzzz.
314 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
PeppermintTea, Ides, deborahscinder, eeagle, Progressing, InTheShop