I've had three Remicade infusions, and the last time I spoke to my GI, he said it was my decision if I wanted to keep going or stop. He wants me to stop, since he's not fully convinced I need it (his NP put me on it, not him). I hate my GI, and his opinion means very little to me, but I have to give him my decision on Monday, because I'm due for another infusion next week, and he will need to give me the go-ahead to set up the appointment.
I've spent the last few days trying to weigh the pros and cons. The major pro is that I've had barely any diarrhea since my first infusion, and I'm feeling a lot better. The major con is that it costs a lot. Of course, there's the antibody thing . . .
My Crohn's is considered mild, and the GI's opinion is that me being on Remicade is like using a hammer to kill a fly. He says there's no reason for me to worry about antibodies, since I most likely will never be bad enough to need it. But I was apparently bad enough for his NP to say, "You either need to be hospitalized or start Remicade," two months ago!
I just don't know. I'm leaning towards staying on it, but . . . like I said, I just don't know.
Diagnosed with Crohn's in 2008 at the age of 22. Also dealing with gastroparesis & GERD.
Currently on: Remicade, Imuran, Pentasa, Tramadol, Welchol, Phenergan, Ambien, Reglan, Prilosec, Hyoscyamine