Potential Surgery Advice

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 9
   Posted 5/10/2010 7:31 PM (GMT -7)   
My husband has had Crohns for 3 years and this time went in for a colonoscopy and CT scan. Dr. found a severe stricture of the ileocecal valve and enterocecal fistula. He has recommended a resection of my husband's terminal ileum and cecum. We are wondering if this is the right step to take since my husband's symptoms do not seem to be too severe. He gets stomach cramps with vomiting every 6-8 weeks. He has been on Asacol 2 pills three times a day for the past three years. Is a resection the way to go?

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 14995
   Posted 5/11/2010 7:07 AM (GMT -7)   
If the stricture is made up of scar tissue and you are saying he has a severe stricture, then it might be a good idea to get this taken care of now, before it becomes an emergency. Its better to get it taken care of electively than waiting till things get to an emergency level. JMHO

It sounds like every 6-8 weeks he is already having at least partial obstructions. For me personally I think I would go ahead and do it now. Then he can get back onto the Asacol. I had my last resection 5 years ago and have been in remission since and maintained solely with Asacol. JMHO

Good luck
Gail*Nanners* Co-Moderator for Crohns Disease 
Crohn's Disease for over 34 years. Currently on Asacol, Prilosec, Estrace, Prinivil, Diltiazem, Percoset prn for pain, Zofran, Phenergan, Probiotics, Calcium, Vit D, and Xanax prn. Resections in 2002 & 2005. Also diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, & Anxiety. Currently my Crohns is in remission, but my joints are going crazy!
*Every tomorrow has two handles.  We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith"*

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 103
   Posted 5/11/2010 7:59 AM (GMT -7)   
I was in a similar situation..... partial obstructions every 6-8 weeks.... but that timeframe kept getting smaller
I wont tell you what to do, but dont wait for surgery too much... I decided to go through surgery when I had obstructions every week :\ lost a lot of weight because of it
my advice would be this... talk with your GI as soon as possible, and discuss scenarios and make a plan (example: we'll try meds, lets say remicade, but if it doesnt work will do ... etc) and go for it as soon as posible to avoid loosing time :)

good luck ;)

Post Edited (Escalador) : 5/11/2010 9:03:42 AM (GMT-6)

New Member

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 9
   Posted 5/11/2010 2:47 PM (GMT -7)   
Thanks for the input. How do I know if the strictures are from scarring or from inflamation? Dr. wants to go right to surgery, should we ask to try anti inflamatory meds first to see if that helps?

Aimee =)
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 1020
   Posted 5/11/2010 8:27 PM (GMT -7)   
It's probably scar tissue... My guess is that the GI would treat any inflammation he saw immediately but even if it was all inflammation, once that goes down there will still likely be scar tissue left behind.

I ended up electing for surgery when I couldn't handle the pain but I did put it off for several years. By the time I gave in to it, I was worse off than I ever should have let myself be (there was more damage in there that could be seen on tests/scopes) which complicated the surgery and recovery. It won't get better just doing what he's doing... he'll just get more and more obstructions and pain and could end up with an emergency surgery that would likely be done open vs laproscopically, which he could probably have right now.

Surgery isn't easy... but it would allow him to start over again. I'd give some serious thought to having it. Before you schedule the surgeon consult, I'd visit with the GI again about the type of inflammation he saw to make sure there isn't another option. I did have quite a bit of scarring and inflammation for a couple of years and various meds (Remicade/Humira/Cimzia) did buy me more time. I kept begging my GI for any other option and we went through them all before he said I was out of extensions and needed to just do it. I'm glad he let me come to that decision on my own but I'm sort of a control freak ;)

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2010
Total Posts : 232
   Posted 5/11/2010 8:34 PM (GMT -7)   
Having had to go through surgery the hard way, severely underweight when I became fully blocked, I would have much preferred it if my GI had suggested surgery when I was physically stronger. I would have felt better sooner and the recovery would have been easier.

There are risks to all surgeries, but more so if it's an emergency situation.

I'm inclined to agree, that it's scar tissue that's causing the block and drugs don't help with that.

I would also highly recommend epidural for the first hours of pain, it surpasses the pain pump by a mile.

Best wishes to your husband, and you :)
CD 24 years. Multiple surgeries in past 10 yrs. 4 year Illeostomy. Mesh rejection. Too close to death, twice. Large inscisional hernia. Perpetually underweight. Short bowel syndrom. Have used a variety of complementary medical therapies. Highly recommend Bowen Therapy as the best body work. Take me vites. Started Low Dose Naltrexone March 27, 2010. Got married for the only time 2008. Survive because of the love of good friends, and because I can. Happy to be alive. IBD needs more awareness and more voices willing to speak up. BE well.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:19 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,905,219 posts in 318,845 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158206 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, js100.
195 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
skeye, Samura, Saipan Paradise, M1961