I just started Humira back in April and I was actually terrified of it - not of the shot or the pain but the actual medication and the risks associated with it. I think I am actually starting to see some improvement in my condition at this point. I don't feel great by any means but I seem to have more energy and my joints definitely feel a lot better. I have also had some fairly normal bathroom experiences which I have not experienced in over 5 years.........so, I think I am on my way to be another success story. Just a few tidbits of advice:
* My nurse said that you can also give the shot in your hip / butt - This is what we have been doing and I think it hurts a little less than the ones I did in my stomach.
* We ice the area for a couple of minutes prior to the injection
* I make sure Itake the pen out of the fridge for about 45-60 minutes prior to injecting
* Make sure the area that you wipe with the alcohol prep pad is dry prior to injecting
* Once the injection is done - just rest and lie down for 20 minutes or so with another icepack or cold compress on the injection site.
These are the things I do and it has made the experience OK. It hurts but these things really do help. Also, you might be tired the following day or so.....especially on your loading doses so take that into consideration when scheduling the injection.