Need Referral For GI Doc Near Rockford, IL

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Gary The Pilot
New Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 14
   Posted 8/24/2010 1:38 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi all. I was unemployed last year due to my company going out of business. I was without insurance and had an ER visit after having severe pains in my lower gut. I thought it was a hernia. Days later, The hospital social worker understated my unemployment income to qualify me for medicaid. I did not know of income understatement. I scheduled a follow up appointment with a GI doc at a GI clinic (Rockford Gastroenterology). He did an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was 33 the time. I lost 40 lbs. I was "Unofficially" diagnosed with crohn's and/or the worst IBS he ever saw. After all this, Medicaid broke the news that I wasn't covered after all. I was left with a clinic and dr. that couldn't help me because they understandably dont work for free. I have $8,000 in debt I cant pay them. I can't get help from them.

I have been very sick with loose stools in the AM and pain all day along with a level of weakness that I cannot describe. I used to hike, sail, play hockey and just get out a lot. I lost my unemployment so I now have zero income but have medicaid. My wife left me. I have no job after being used to a six digit income. I had my gas turned off. I am losing my home. I get so sick that I can hardly move due to lack of energy. I tried meds and nothing works. Dicyclomine kind of helps. The only way I can minimize symptoms is to fiercely watch what I eat. I am applying for disability which I doubt I'll get. I have lost it all due to this disease which runs in my family. I want to go back to life and work hard to make a good income. But I can't. I can hardly make needed Dr.'s appointments. The pain is horrible and keeps me up all night and then I sleep all day whenever I finally pass out. It's a brutal cycle.

I need an understanding doc that will recognize my crohns and, knowing that I need help, help with getting me disability and medical treatment so I can rebuild my life. Part of my problem is I am a fit, healthy, good looking outgoing guy. I don't go anywhere when flared up. When I am well enough to get out, people look at me and have no idea of the pain that I have under my skin. Not to mention my pride gets in the way when asking a doc to help. I am too optimistic that things will improve and then... a flare up. I struggle accepting what is bringing me down. I have a kid and need to get well enough to provide for her. This has to start with a good doc. I have medicaid and will travel to Madison, WI or Chicago, IL area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, November 18, 2017 11:05 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,895,081 posts in 317,766 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 157368 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, lovelyladyrosie.
309 Guest(s), 9 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
alunke82, BigMak, VeroMom, Dahlias, Pirouette, Girlie, Uniform Charlie, garyi, Tim Tam

About Us | Advertise | Donate
Newsletter | Privacy Policy & Disclaimer
Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest
©1996-2017 LLC  All Rights Reserved.